Your first memories of nature...

What are your first memories of nature? What was the first thing you remember that got you inspired and caring about the natural world? Are your first memories here in Essex or elsewhere? We'd love to know....

• I grew up on the edge of The Chilterns and they were my playground. As youngsters we would spend most of each day exploring and playing. From making dens with sticks and branches, and during harvest time building mazes and hideaways with the large rectangular straw bales, until the farmer spotted us of course! It was always fun and harmless with no adults required! I used to often walk our dog for what seemed like miles, and my earliest memory or at least the one that is easily recalled, is: I was walking our dog through a grassy field, I was probably ten or eleven. Suki, our dog was ahead of me, I was alone, it was sunny, late spring or early summer and very peaceful. All of a sudden right from under my feet a Grey Partridge took flight, to say it scared the be jesus out of me, is an under statement. The reason she waited until I had almost trodden on her was that she was sitting on no less than fourteen eggs. Amazing, and after counting them I soon moved on and found a path to follow. Even today, just occasionally a Pheasant or sometimes a Wood Pigeon will break cover and make me start, and it always reminds me of that day, but sadly I doubt I will ever be made to jump again by the now declining Grey Partridge!

• What wonderful memories Alan!! Thanks for sharing them :-)

• Thought I'd get the ball rolling and hopefully more people's memories will appear. Take care :-)

• Making daisy chains with my brother in the garden as a toddler in the North of England.

• My first memory of nature is probably when I was about 5 or 8 years old, I regularly went fishing with my uncle at this little fishing pond on the outskirts of Knaresborough in North Yorkshire. Whilst fishing he would point out various birds, flowers and other wildlife to me. I particular remember him giving me a frog to hold, he has a picture somewhere of me on a bench holding this frog with a big grin on my face. I was also fortunate that my father took me bird watching during me early teen years and remember seeing all sort of different birds from bitterns to red kites and even a Bee-eater once. Though it wasn’t till my late teens when I was inspired to start caring and wanting to make a difference, so that the next generation can have the same experiences I had as a child.  

• When I was about five years old, watching a kingfisher on an old part of Basildon now covered by housing.

• I love all your responses! It's so telling that you were all so young when the connections to nature were first made. It just goes to show the importance of getting our kids outdoors and building those all important nature experiences.

I'm really looking forward to hearing other people's stories too