Greetings from Walsall

Greeting all.

As I think I’ve worked out how this forum thing works, I thought I’d make an introductory post in the Sandwell Valley section.

As a resident of Walsall, I would often take my camera for a walk around Sandwell Valley park, mostly Forge Mill Lake and occasionally Swan Pool. Having spotted a Heron on the latter in January this year, I was chatting with my sister who told me where the Heronry was. My next visit was therefore to Priory Woods.

From the Sandwell Park Farm car park, no sooner had I walked 50 yards, I spotted another gentleman with a camera (it would be rude not to stop and chat). It took only moments for me to realise he was photographing woodland birds feeding off seed placed on the fence posts there – whilst I was familiar with Blue Tit and Great Tit in my parents garden, I was amazed to see the Nuthatch - I was hooked.

I return regularly, to each lake, sometimes the hide (incidentally, introduced to me by my barber!) to better improve my photography skills, and get some much needed exercise and fresh air.

I joined the RSPB in March, and enjoy identifying the birds I’ve seen/photographed – the ones I hear though, are more difficult to identify.

Here are a few photos from around the three lakes:

Wood Pigeon - Prory Woods

Blue Tit - Prory Woods

Blue Tit - Prory Woods

Nuthatch - Prory Woods

Great Tit - Prory Woods

Coot on nest - Prory Woods lake

Heron (Juvenile) - Prory Woods heronry

Heron - Prory Woods heronry

Robin - Prory Woods

Collard Dove - Prory Woods car park

Buzzard - Prory Woods

Dunnock - Prory Woods

Moorhen - Prory Woods lake

Willow Tit - Prory Woods

Goosander (female) - Prory Woods lake

Goosander (male) - Prory Woods lake

Canada Goose - Prory Woods lake

Chaffinch - Prory Woods

Long Tailed Tit - Prory Woods

Magpie - Prory Woods

Blackbird - Prory Woods

Coal Tit - Prory Woods

Tufted Duck - Prory Woods lake

I think that will do for now - maybe more next weekend.

Lawrence

Local RSPB Reserve: Sandwell Valley

My Photo Blog: www.loz.pics

• admit it, that isn't a box brownie you are clicking away on. I would love to join you and see how the blummin eck you get shots like that

• Correct - the last time I used a box brownie was about 40 years ago - I can still picture the last location and the subject - my Grandmother (it was my fathers camera).

Lawrence

• It's been a couple of weeks since I visited the 'Valley (was off photographing 4x4's last weekend), so popped over this afternoon in the sunshine. Managed to shoot some new birds (to me) as a bonus:

Nuthatch - Priory Woods

Blue Tit - Priory Woods

Robin - Priory Woods

Heron - Priory Woods Heronry

Coot - still on nest - Priory Woods Lake

Great Tit - Priory Woods - feeding...

Great Tit (Juvenile) - Priory Woods

Grey Squirrel - Priory Woods car park

Shelduck (Juvenile) - Forge Mill Lake

Pied Wagtail - Forge Mill Lake

Pochard (Male) - Forge Mill Lake

Carrion Crow ? - Forge Mill Lake

And finally:

Canada Goose Goslings - Forge Mill Lake

The Shelduck and Pochard are new ones to me - glad to have been able to identify them.

The juvenile Great Tit was difficult to capture, but I think I did all right.

As for the little yellow bundles of floating fluff - arrrrhhh.

Lawrence

• Great post.Honest and heartwarming.Keep going !