Memorial

Why was the Andy Kilgallon screen vandalised this viewing screen was there has a memorial it would have been nice to have been consulted first !! 

• We constantly look at ways to improve/add  viewing areas to the reserve and over the past 12 months I have overseen a number of changes to the site. These changes include adding a new viewing area close to the river bank previously known as Kingfisher Corner. There is now a safe viewing area bordered by a volunteer made woven willow hurdle. By opening this area to the general public we prevented it continuing to harbour illicit activities. Another additional viewing area is at the first corner on the path from the visitor centre towards the Marsh Screen. The river is now clearly in sight and visitors have complimented us on improving this stopping point. Further along this path we cleared away some of the undergrowth and allowed a clear sight through the foliage so that pedestrians have a chance to see cyclists heading their way.

As for the memorial screen then I hold my hand up and say I took the decision to halve it's height not knowing the significance of the screen. It has been our intention for some time to change the 'look' of the timber planks and this is the first step in softening the appearance. In due course we shall face the timber with willow panels and make it more natural looking. Once again this has been done with the purpose of improving the viewing enjoyment found around the reserve. Once again we have had a number of visitors say how much they appreciate being able to sit in relative comfort and have a spectacular view across the marsh.

Whilst we strive to maintain the integrity of the reserve we do have to be mindful of the changing requirements of the visiting public. We are doing our best to cater for all users of the reserve but I am realistic knowing we cannot please all the people all the time

See you on the reserves,

Best regards,

Chris Edwards