Monday 15-09-14 Another Great Day

Have just spent another great day up at the reserve, arrived more or less bang on 09:00hrs, only to discover I was not the 1st person there by any stretch of the imagination.

Slow walk through the reserve stopping at the Draper, Gadwall & Tern hides.... By the time I arrived at the Kingfisher I had managed to see around 20 different species of bird...

Arriving at the Kingfisher Hide to discover the usual suspects all ensconced on the benches, some individuals noticeable by their absence.....  Got settled in and then spent the next 5 plus hours having the most enjoyable day for a good while. The Kingfishers were showing well, started with the male who brought back a good sized fish that he then spun and swallowed on the far perch nearest to the nest bank, went in the nest and came out again not to long after and disappeared pretty much for the rest of the day. The female was out and about quite a bit, and showing really well throughout the day, I'm fairly certain some great pictures were taken. Both birds are looking a little tired, and a little scruffy compared to a couple of months back, but.... The main debate for the day is... Have the fourth brood hatched, I think the consensus is that they may well have done, and if they have it was happening as we watched. No-one particularly convinced that they would be out any time soon, many factors not least the weather is going to impact on them hard... It will be interesting to see what happens. Hopefully someone will keep us updated, I can't make it back up till next week at the earliest.

Thanks to all for a great day, great conversations, and good laughs, and most of all some great birding (26 for the day).

Phil...

• Hi Phil,

You are correct, a great day had by all.

• Hi Phil

I was at Rye Meads today (and with you Monday). A pattern has evolved with the nest being looked after mainly by the Male, going into nest frequently. No fish being taken in yet, so presuming he is feeding them regurgitated fish. They wouldn't look after nest if brood had failed and it is very late not to have hatched. So, looks like they hatched maybe monday and there are no small fish around. Hardly any dipping, not much action going on until fish go in. Hoping!!