So the 3rd brood have fledged...

...according to http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/placestovisit/ryemeads/b/ryemeads-blog/archive/2014/08/19/kingfisher-update-19-august-2014.aspx. Gutted. I have now missed all 3 fledglings. Here's hoping we will get to see the 4th brood.
  • Well, we think they have. No-one has seen them, the adults have been behaving strangely over the last few days. Last seen taking fish in on Sunday,and concentrating on the new nest. I was there today and there was no sign of any fledglings, no calling and the classic changeover happened on the new nest. It's possible there weren't many and they feldged early and went from the pond very quickly before 9 am. Unusual perhaps, but better than a failed brood alternative. But here's looking forward to the record 4th brood!!!!!!!!

• In my opinion, I am sorry to say I think the third brood has failed – sorry, let’s look a t a number of facts, normally before the brood fledge, there  is an increase of activity, fish going in to the nest, this does not appear to of happened.

If they fledged Sunday night, there have been no reports of seeing the adults calling the young out Sunday afternoon, if they fledge Monday morning, why did no one see any babies first thing Monday?, they do hang around for some time.

Only my opinion......

• Maybe, maybe not Ray. We know the Kingfishers are unpredictable in their behaviour at times. I agree the amount of activity has been less on the 3rd brood than on the previous broods. Maybe they only had 2 successful fledges in this brood?

Maybe it was easier to call them out over a shorter period of time? Maybe the fledges left before the reserve opened up. From what I understand, the camera on the Kingfisher Hide isn't working at the moment (2nd hand information, I'm sure the staff will confirm), so nobody was able to monitor the activity overnight.

There was sightings of a Kingfisher flying through yesterday (I saw it 3 times) and the day before. Didn't have time to clock if it was a Juvenile or a rogue adult.

Anyway, whatever happened has happened, let's hope they 4th  brood is successful. :)

• That's a lot of "maybe`s", but as you say, here is to the 4th brood.

• Yes Prash, that was a rogue male.

Unfortunately I tend to agree with Ray, I have been saying that based on being there and what others have told me. It was only the apparent sighting of 2 juveniles near another hide on Monday that gave an alternative explanation - though unusal in the circumstances. Don't know how truthful that sighting was. 4TH BROOD WOOHOO!