Evening all

Yesterday (22nd October) saw the start of the work to build the new ground level Purfleet Hide in the bank viewable from the visitors centre. It will look out over a re-landscaped Purfleet Scrape and afford excellent views.

To start with the diggers are removing the top soil. The reedy bit will be kept in one pile and the grassy bit in another to be replaced once works have finished to allow the area to naturally regenerate.

Howard Vaughan, Information Officer

Parents
  • Craig, I couldn't agree more that we must encourage people of all ages & backgrounds to engage with the natural world if we are going to hang on to our wildlife heritage. And hides are an important way of doing this. They allow people who do not have special equipment, such as binoculars or telescopes, to get close to nature & enjoy the sight & sound of birds & other creatures.

However, the Butts hide does not do this. It is too distant from the birds so that even geese cannot be properly seen without binoculars. It stands out like a sore thumb which birds may get used to, but may not, preferring to keep their distance. It is not conducive to quiet viewing because the large open space in the middle encourages people to stand & chat & makes the space echo with every sound. It was, I am told, very expensive. A single hide shouldn't cost the RSPB more than twice the price of an average house!

That said, I do like Rainham & will certainly continue to visit. There are nice features on the reserve such as the boardwalk, which will bring people closer to nature. If the Purfleet hide is a 'hide', I look forward to using it!

Cheers

Sally

Comment
  • Craig, I couldn't agree more that we must encourage people of all ages & backgrounds to engage with the natural world if we are going to hang on to our wildlife heritage. And hides are an important way of doing this. They allow people who do not have special equipment, such as binoculars or telescopes, to get close to nature & enjoy the sight & sound of birds & other creatures.

However, the Butts hide does not do this. It is too distant from the birds so that even geese cannot be properly seen without binoculars. It stands out like a sore thumb which birds may get used to, but may not, preferring to keep their distance. It is not conducive to quiet viewing because the large open space in the middle encourages people to stand & chat & makes the space echo with every sound. It was, I am told, very expensive. A single hide shouldn't cost the RSPB more than twice the price of an average house!

That said, I do like Rainham & will certainly continue to visit. There are nice features on the reserve such as the boardwalk, which will bring people closer to nature. If the Purfleet hide is a 'hide', I look forward to using it!

Cheers

Sally

Children
No Data