Today was my first visit to the reserve in nine days.  I am now part of the team rota with Jamie and Andrew to solo visit and check on the fundamental aspects of the site such as building and hide security and electric fence checking as well as looking after our feeders around the Centre that are so important to our thriving House Sparrow population.

I arrived at 9.30 this morning after a bizarrely empty drive in from North Kent and my first job was to turn the wind turbine at the front gate back on after Jamie  had turned it off for the hoolie that blew through at the weekend.  When I removed the cover there were heaps of Harlequin and Seven Spot Ladybirds roosting amicably inside.

The feeders were then quickly  topped up front and back and fresh water put out too and within a few minutes the Sparrows and some Starlings, Chaffinches and Goldfinches were back down for a late second breakfast.

Ready for business!

Centre jobs done, I loaded up with some more seed for the woodland tables and some mealworms for our red breasted friends on the way.

Fortunately the fence tester was easy to use – turn on, touch wire with metal bit out front and note down reading.   Every wire I tested with over 6 (something or others) which was good and hopefully means than our persistent outside Foxes will remain so and that the Lapwing, Redshank and wildfowl will all have another successful breeding season.

It did not take long for the various incarnations of Rocky the Robin to find me and my proffered mealworms.  Four different ones came to say hello.

Playground Rocky

Cordite Rocky and his better half

I am very confident that they can all survive without our handouts as the Cordite store is amazingly insect rich but it is still nice to know that they remember and trust us and in these troubling time, something simple that makes you smile goes a long way to making it a better day.