I spent most of today stood on the riverwall just outside the centre engaging with almost 100 people while keeping my eyes to the skies, river and marsh. Amazingly by the end of the day we had clocked up a nice round 100 species across the site with about 90 of them from our viewpoint and the others out on the loop. If anyone saw a Whinchat or the Pintail today I would love to know!

Black Tern in the rain - Karl Price

The Hobbies, Peregrine and Sparrowhawks were superb today and there were frequent pulses of hirundines as well as the ever present Black Tern and a few waders.

Hobby - (HTV)

The Harbour Seals were very popular with the public as ever!

Not a complete list and I know that my counting goes a little wonky but it all came good in the end - oh and note the crinkled rain shower effect!

Sunday 17th September ... some highlights

• RSPB Rainham Marshes: juv. Black Tern, 2nd s Med Gull, juv Cuckoo, 5 Hobby, juv m Peregrine, 2m1juv Marsh Harrier, 3f Sparrowhawk, 12 Buzzard, 7 Kestrel, 22 Black-tailed Godwit, 3 Dunlin, 7 Ringed Plover, 3 Whimbrel, 2 Curlew, Redshank, Greenshank, Spotted Redshank, Green Sandpiper, Common Sandpiper, 8 Snipe, Yellow Wagtail, Grey wagtail, Sedge warbler, 2 Willow Warbler, 25 Chiffchaff, Whitethroat, 6 Bearded Tit, Redstart, Wheatear, pr Stonechat, 300 House Martin, 80 Swallow, 25 Sand Martin, 9 Wigeon, 28 Meadow Pipit, 3 Skylark, 3 Great Crested Grebe, m Bullfinch, Goldcrest