And so a new year begins... I got in at about six and dropped the drawbridge at seven and despite the darkness and cool breeze and imminent rain, there were still birds to be had.

Robins were singing when I arrived and were joined shortly afterwards by Carrion Crow, Wigeon, Lapwing, Curlew, Redshank and rather strangely in the dark - Collared Dove.

The other 'normal' ducks were added soon afterwards along with both geese and the first Redwings, Fieldfares, Song Thrushes and Blackbirds coming out of roost. Dunnock and Wren started to call and gulls woke up on the Thames. The Dents saw the Barn owl as they were opening up in the gloom as it headed back to the Cordite while Dave Morrison had two of the Short-eared Owls in similarly interesting light in Aveley Bay while Black-tailed Godwits and Avocets could be heard.

With enough light to scan around we checked the south side of the river quickly adding (with our eyes!) our own Blackwits along with Ringed and Grey Plover and even a Knot which is a great bird for day one of a new year at Rainham.

Kingfisher called from the Mardyke and the House Sparrows were at last stiring and before logn I had the chance of a stroll along the riverside path towards the landfill and Aveley Bay. A Dark-bellied Brent Goose was another excellent bird and both  Rock and water Pipit were added along with Stonechat, Dunlin, Skylark and 15 Avocets. the gulls were swiftly despatched and then it was time for a scan of Wennington where the Peregrine was up on pylon 40 and the Buzzard was on his owl box with the Ravens giving him grief while a male Marsh Harrier quartered the silts. Rook and Jackdaw were picked out and the 200 or so Stock Dove flock was a fine sight as they moved around like a swirling wader flock.

The walk back required a mini twitch through the turnstile to see one of only three single Mute Swans on the marsh and a Little Grebe was skirting in and out of the reeds.

Back at base I did a few jobs before escaping once again for a complete circuit as the rain had not yet arrived and I thought it best to take my chances! Closer views of the various ducks were had a Golden Plover was with Lapwings on Aveley Pool while Little Egrets and Water Pipits fed around the edges with several stripy Snipe. Cetti's Warbler was to become my only warbler of the day although others saw Chiffchaffs but there are definitely no Bearded Tits around at the moment. My Northern Trail bonus was a Ring-necked Parakeets flying overhead!

Several more Water Pipits were heard and one pair of Stonechat were feeding around the boardwalk workparty (very impressed to see you all in on New Years Day!) and were coming down to pick up grubs and suchlike disturbed by their efforts.

Mr Stonechat - Tricia Cambell

I dropped down onto the Victorian seawall for the return leg and got incredibly close to the foreshore Wigeon and Pipits along with hawthorns full of gleaming Fieldfares and Redwings. Magic. The rest of the day was spent in the centre but with lots of window time showing others what was out on the marsh from the comfort and warmth of the inside where tea and cake was available. One of the Shorties was seen briefly and over the hightide we were graced by over 200 Black-tailed Godwits and 18 Avocets for the first time this winter. They started off on the back of Purfleet Scrape before moving off to Aveley Pool. Both Dom Mitchell and I found Caspian Gulls (Targets and Aveley respectively) and it was quite probably the same bird but it was the end of day trio of Ravens that made the day as they grumbled and half-kronked their way on a circuit over the centre and then around the marsh complete with puffed out throats and barrel roles.

The forecast rain had arrived at about 1.30pm and we had to be content with the fact tha no owls were going to get up and fly around for us and the visitors before the end of the day but it was an all round good one with a very respectable 87 species recorded between all the different observers out there in the field.

1-1-17