• Show some respect...

Evening all....

I was very disappointed today to come into work and find that we had suffered another after hours incursion around the centre and that the wildlife pond had once again been abused by fervent frog hunters.  This time they did a proper job and have punctured (inadvertently or otherwise) the liner at a level at which the pond's existence may be in the balance. This wonderful spot has been nurtured over the…

• Who shall I be today?

Dave Smith is one of my vols at Rainham Marshes as well as being a very good birder and train driver....  Working unsociable hours sometimes has its advantages and after work last night he was able to record this fantastic sequence by the Marsh Warbler as he sung his heart out at about 1.30am.

www.rspb.org.uk/.../6175.Marsh-warbler-RM-2_2D00_6_2D00_12-David-Smith.mp3

I have had a good listen to all seven minutes and…

• Luvvly Jubilee!

Well that weekend is upon when all things red white and blue abound and the Union Jack gets proudly flown once again. 

Spent part of yesterday (when not watching Marsh Warbler) adorning the visitor centre in enough bunting and appropriately coloured streamers and flags to make sure that we too are celebrating.  Anyway, quite a few boats, ships, tugs, yachts, wherries, Thames Barges and other assorted floating vessels…

• Day Flyers

With humid conditions yesterday morning, it proved to be a very good invertebrate day and Mark Hart got some good shots of three species of day flying moths along the river wall...

Cream Spot Tiger

Cinnabar

Burnet Companion

• Still rambling on

Our Marsh Warbler is still singing this morning at the bottom of the Serin Mound in amongst all the nettles and hemlock which should deter anyone from getting to close!  Had another listen on the way home last night and added Quail, Garden Warbler, Skylark, Blackcap and Great Tit to the list of species he was mimicing.  If you visit to day please let me know of any more additions to his repertoire!

Oh and the Corn Bun…

• Mimic Master

A very good start to the day with a singing Marsh Warbler being discovered along the public cycle path along the river wall.  It initially showed very well and was in fine song but became slightly more sporadic and half hearted during the day as the weather became duller and the breeze picked up. Even in the short bursts this morning I was able to pick up it mimicing Blackbird, Swallow, House Sparrow and Goldfinch but…