As we move into the final few days of 2023, and pass the shortest day of the year, it feels a little bit like our wildlife is settled, awaiting the longer days of spring, so this seems a good time to look back on what 2023 has had to offer.

First, though, is a summary of this week's highlights. On the Scrape, the flocks of ducks continue to hide the odd Goldeneye, Tufted Duck or Pochard among them, and the two Whooper Swans remain alongside a handful of Mute Swans. The ringtail Hen Harrier remains at Island Mere, where several Marsh Harriers should be easier to spot.

Male Marsh Harrier above the golden reeds, by David Naylor

Kingfishers and Otters have been seen several times at Bittern Hide, but Bearded Tits and Cetti's Warblers have been harder to spot in the windy conditions. Flocks of Meadow Pipits and Stonechats should be seen in the dunes, and tit flocks in the woods may include Goldcrest and Treecreeper. 

The weather has again been a talking point this year, but in contrast to 2022's drought, it's been too much rain that has dominated this year. The torrential rain during Storm Babet in mid October caused extensive flooding, and water levels have remained much higher than usual ever since, with the Sluice track remaining impassable.

It has been a year of highs and lows in many ways. Here's a few of my personal highs:

• Minsmere's first Buff-breasted Sandpiper, a wader from North America, for 60 years (photo below)

• Great views of a Kentish Plover in the spring (though I missed the Temminck's Stints, again!)
  • Successful breeding for Avocets and the first attempted breeding of Little Terns on East Scrape following phase two of the Life on the Edge programme (phase three was ended early by the autumn flooding)
  • Finding my own Leach's Petrel passing offshore last month
  • Spotting Pallas's Warbler, Pallid Swift and Long-tailed Duck during the autumn
  • Regular Common Crane, Spoonbill, Great Egret and Cattle Egret (photo below) sightings

• The Water Voles during the late summer
  • Winning the Accessible and Inclusive Tourism Gold Award at the East of England Tourism Awards following the completion of the East Hide boardwalk last winter
  • Meeting so many amazing people through the year

And some of the lows:

• The flooding, of course
  • Disappointing breeding success for some of our key birds, such as Stone-curlew (despite a record number of pairs), Little Tern and Turtle Dove (none of the later bred at all)
  • The ongoing impacts of Bird Flu
  • The deaths of two very popular and valued volunteers, Betty Nelson and Stan Pyke

What will 2024 bring? My hopes are for great breeding season, lots of happy visitors, and perhaps a new bird or two.

Which just leaves to me to wish you all a very merry Christmas and wildlife-filled New Year (and a reminder that all facilities at Minsmere will closed on Christmas Day and Boxing Day and open as usual on all other dates).