• An exciting hobby

Sightings change almost by the hour in spring, so it's hardly surprising that there have been a lot of changes in the two weeks since my last sightings blog, with spring migrants flooding in and most of the wintering birds having now departed. Apologies for the lack of updates while I was enjoying an Easter break in mid and North Wales, including walking up Snowdon and enjoying excellent views of the black-browed albatross…

• A brilliant day at Minsmere

After celebrating our 75th birthday on Monday, it was heart-warming to receive an email from two lovely ladies reflecting on their brilliant visit to Minsmere. So much so that, with their permission, I thought I'd share their feedback with you. I know that their thoughts will strike a chord with many other visitors too. So, here in full, and unedited, are Helen and Emily's thoughts about Minsmere. Thank you ladies!…

• 75 and counting! Time to celebrate

Today is an important day for us here at Minsmere as we're celebrating the 75th anniversary of Minsmere becoming an RSPB nature reserve.

The reserve looked very different when the RSPB signed a management agreement with the landowners on 25 April 1947. Much of the low-lying farmland had been flooded by the closure of the Minsmere Sluice as part of wartime measures to prevent a German invasion. The freshwater reedbed…

• Going for a song

Spring migrants have begun to arrive en masse this week, with a notable increase in the variety and volume of birdsong. The most exciting returnee so far is the nightingale that was in full song close to the car park entrance yesterday. This used to be a favoured spot, but we haven't heard them from that location for several years. Let's hope it stays and finds a mate so that many of our visitors can hear their beautiful…

• Get the bunting out

It's time for the next instalment in our regular series exploring the many and varied collective nouns used for different types of wildlife, and with our 75th anniversary rapidly approaching [it's on Monday 25 April], it's time to get the bunting out!

There are three types of bunting that regularly visit Minsmere, and several others that have occurred here. The one that you are most likely to spot is the reed…

• Come rain or shine

It's been another week of typical April weather: bright sunshine one minute followed by heavy squally showers, accompanied by a brisk and, at times, quite strong wind. Consequently, our summer migrants continue to only trickle in, while a number of winter visitors are lingering.

Two of the latter species have proved to the most popular birds with many of our visitors - or frustrating if you failed to find them! A…

• Watching the watchers

Guest blog by Mark Solomons, Minsmere volunteer and resident

A recent study led by the University of Essex found birdwatching accountants to be the most boring people in Britain!

This is a bit unfair on both accountants and birdwatchers. Well, maybe not accountants.

Of course anyone who has little or no interest in either will be bored stiff by someone banging on about tax exemption or the difference between a Common…

• From hats to conservation

Today marks a very important date in the RSPB's long history, because 100 years ago today, on 1 April 1922, the Importation of Plumage (Prohibition) Act finally came into force. This marked the culmination of a long, and ultimately successful, campaign by a small group of ladies to end the senseless use of feathers in the fashion industry, especially in millinery (hat-making). It was the start of this campaign that led…

• Is it really spring?

After last week's sightings blog in which I celebrated the arrival of spring, this week has seen the weather take a step backwards towards winter. Thick fog made birdwatching very challenging on Monday, and today has brought regular snow, sleet and hail showers and gusty north-easterly wind that made it feel particularly cold outside.

Given this wintry weather, it should, perhaps, not come as a surprise to hear that…

• Spring forward

There is no doubt that spring has arrived this week, with some beautiful warm sunny weather and clear skies bringing out many different insects and the first noticeable arrival of summer migrants. Ironically, with the clocks spring forward an hour on Sunday for the start of British Summer Time, it looks like temperatures are set to drop again.

I was very excited to discover a sizeable clump of frog spawn in my tiny garden…

• Weird and wonderful

For this week's feature on collective nouns, I'm doing something a bit different and taking a look at two species, not just one. Why? Because both species only have one recognised collective noun, which in both cases is unique to that species. Early spring also happens to be a good time of year to see both.

First up is the bullfinch. This dumpy finches can be difficult to see at any time of year, but it's worth…

• Confused dot com

It's time for my latest look at collective nouns, and to quote a famous Monty Python line, "now for something completely different" as this week's selection only has one recognised collective noun. Perhaps this isn't wholly surprising, as the species concerned is not really known for occurring in flocks.

Chiffchaffs are small olive-green warblers. They are generally summer migrants to the UK, although…

• Little and large

We've had a couple of gorgeous days to start the week, and the wildlife has certainly taken advantage. There has been a noticeable increase in gulls and avocets on the Scrape, an arrival of new migrants and the first obvious emergence of a few insects to keep everyone happy - plus the continuing presence of a lesser yellowlegs, glossy ibis and pair of smew for a bit more variety.

My week started well when I spotted…

• A golden charm

As I considered which species to focus on for this week's collective nouns feature, one obvious candidate stepped forward when a small flock of tiny yellow-green finches posed at eye level close to the path between Wildlife Lookout and South Hide. I regularly see flocks of siskins feeding in the tops of alders, prizing seeds from the trees' tiny cones, but it's rare to get a good close view, which offered perfect photographic…

• A partridge in a reedbed, not a pear tree

One of the most rapidly declining birds in the UK put in an unexpected appearance at Minsmere on Monday. Grey partridges were once a familiar sight throughout the UK, so much so that they are often referred to as English partridges to differentiate them from the introduced red-legged, or French, partridge. 

Sadly, like may other species of farmland wildlife, from corn buntings to turtle doves, brown hares to fumitory and…

• Summing up

For our latest collective nouns blog, I'm taking a first look at something other than birds, by turning the focus on a species that is most easily seen during March and April: the adder.

Male adders began emerging from hibernation during February, with up to five males seen basking in the sun at the base of the sand martin bank. They will spend the next few weeks preparing for the emergence of the females in early…

• All change, but no change

Having been away for half term last week, it seems that there's been little major change in terms of the wildlife, but some major changes for visitors.

First, let's start with the changes, which are the first phase of some significant upgrades in accessibility. Our wardens and volunteers have been busy working with our contractors, Gilliards, to enlarge the capacity of East Hide and make the hide much more accessible…

• Important visitor information 20/21 February 2022

Due to present conditions and forecast we have decided to close the reserve today (from 2pm) to ensure visitors and staff can leave safely.
    Tomorrow morning looks to be very windy, so we will aim to be open from midday at the earliest, to allow checks to be carried out.
    If there are any further developments we will update as soon as we can, our phone lines are still down so please follow RSPB Minsmere on Facebook…
  • Causing a commotion

Storm Eunice is battering the UK, disrupting plans and wrecking havoc and devastation to large parts of the country. In such conditions, people often ask what happens to the wildlife. That's a good question, and it varies to between species. 

If they can, many will seek shelter in holes or underground, but small woodland birds much continue to feed even in these harsh conditions and will often be found among the leaf…

• Storm Eunice - Minsmere closed

Minsmere will be closed on Friday 18 February due to Storm Eunice. This includes all facilities: nature trails, hides and the visitor centre. All hides will be locked from this evening until Saturday morning.

We expect to open again on Saturday although some woodland trails may remain closed due to fallen trees. 

Please note that our telephones are also down, so to check the latest information, please see our Facebook and…

• Bobbing jacks and white nuns

It's been another exciting week on the reserve, despite the windy and, at times, wet weather, with scarce birds visiting us from both east and west.

From the west, the lesser yellowlegs remains on the Levels. Often difficult to locate due to the distance and huge flocks of lapwings, it is easier to see when it moves onto Lucky Pool. This morning it decided on a change of scenery and moved to the back of the Konik…

• Deception or desertion?

As I mentioned in this week's sightings blog, there are impressive numbers of lapwings on the Levels at the moment. My estimate on Monday was 1000 birds, but other people have estimated at double that number. Either way, it's quite a sight when they are disturbed by a peregrine or marsh harrier.

Of course, this got me thinking about what the collective noun for a flock of lapwings is. Surprisingly for a bird that…

• Spectacular wildlife

One of the things I love most about wildlife watching is the unpredictability. Even here at Minsmere, I'm often surprised by what or see, or frustrated by what I can't find. This week has been a perfect example of this.

On Monday, having strolled around the Scrape, enjoying superb views of ducks in the sunshine, I wandered south along the dunes to look for the lesser yellowlegs on Lucky Pool. Once again I failed…

• Plan your guided walk

I'm sure many of you are starting to plan your birdwatching trips for this year. To help you to get even more enjoyment from your visit to Minsmere, why not book onto one of our many guided walks. Bookings for all events are made on-line. Full details of all events can be found at https://events.rspb.org.uk/minsmere.

Every month we run several birds for beginners walks, for which you can find details at https://events…

• Globe trotters

Yesterday, 2 February, was World Wetlands Day. This is one of the most dates in the conservation calendar as it celebrates the signing of the RAMSAR Convention on the protection of wetlands of international importance. This international agreement was first signed in the Iranian city of Ramsar on 2 February 1971, and there are now more than 2400 sites across the world that have been declared as RAMSAR sites, of which…