• It will be interesting to see if Ems comments on this situation in his Blog later today on Facebook. Morning update  www.facebook.com/dyfiospreyproject. I wonder if Seren is a very young bird, as has been suggested previously, and simply isn't ready to breed?. I hope I'm wrong but I guess time will tell and Ems may have more to say.

• Mike B said:

It will be interesting to see if Ems comments on this situation in his Blog later today on Facebook. Morning update  www.facebook.com/dyfiospreyproject. I wonder if Seren is a very young bird, as has been suggested previously, and simply isn't ready to breed?. I hope I'm wrong but I guess time will tell and Ems may have more to say.

How young would that be?  Remember this bird    06 (01)

• Hazel b said:

I do remember that and if I recall correctly it was just such an event which altered to previously held view that birds did not normally breed until they are about 4 years old.

It is of course known that birds sometimes do pair up,but not breed until ,hopefully, they both return the following spring.

I guess only time will tell.

• Good morning, all.  I must say that full marks for sheer persistence must go to Monty the Mighty.  Perhaps Seren is one of EJ's 2010 chicks - she's certainly a character!!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Good Morning, Very hard to fathom out this relationship. Seren insisting on not sitting on the nest and then the trapeze mating attempts. She also reminded me of Bynack yesterday when the fish was dropped amongst the nest twigs.

• Clare Bailey said:

Good morning, all.  I must say that full marks for sheer persistence must go to Monty the Mighty.  Perhaps Seren is one of EJ's 2010 chicks - she's certainly a character!!

So what is the  evidence that she is one of  EJ's chicks from 2010?

• Hi, Tiger.  Obviously there's no evidence of the ringing kind - but she's been observed to have behaved like Bynack on the nest, she makes a racket like Alba and she's generally perverse around Monty, just like EJ around Odin!!

Our herring gulls are red listed birds.  Think about that the next time you hear some flaming idiot calling for a cull of them.

• Mike B said:

I do remember that and if I recall correctly it was just such an event which altered to previously held view that birds did not normally breed until they are about 4 years old.

It is of course known that birds sometimes do pair up,but not breed until ,hopefully, they both return the following spring.

I guess only time will tell.

[/quote]Yes not really sure where this "don't breed until about 4 years old" came from? I suspect in areas where there is competition for nests then the more experienced birds will dominate the nests, but at Rutland where there were plenty of spare males with nests the first 4 females (whose age was known) to breed, bred as 3 or 2 year olds. I think it's acknowledged that 06(01) was an exception but surely 05(00) breeding in 2003, 5N(04) breeding in 2007 & DE(05) breeding in 2008 prove that it's perfectly normal if they can get a partner.

Surely to be around this early in the season Seren is likely to be at least a 2010 bird? Even 06(01) didn't arrive back at Rutland until 28th April in her 2nd year.

• Someone is back on the perch.

• Mike & Tiger - if we take 06(01) as the model then Seren could be as young as 1yr.  

Hilary J