Osprey sightings 2013

France , Landes :

Wednesday, January 2nd, 2013
Marais d'Orx
(Générique) / Orx (40)
2 Ospreys (Pandion haliaetus) [Yohann Montane ]

• One in Hayle.Cornwall today

Wonder if this is the Devon seen by Shane yesterday. No mention of Rings.

Maybe Alan will tell us more later.

• SunnyKate2 said:
    Wonder if this is the Devon seen by Shane yesterday. No mention of Rings.

Maybe not as this on DEVON Saturday

So could be TWO in South West.

• Observation on nature.79 (deux-sèvres)  28th September

Saint-Loup-Lamairé (79)

2 Balbuzards pêcheurs  Seen by Thomas Gouello, Romain Bonnet & Aurore Lamarche

Remarque de Thomas Gouello :

Un probable adulte bagué métal à droite et 36 noir sur blanc à gauche, et un probable jeune

This looks like a Roy Dennis bird.

Best wishes

Hazel in Southwest France

• This time a photo of a ringed Osprey HERE noted on faune.aquitane. Unfortunately the ring is not readable.

Best wishes

• Why specifically one of Roy's? White 36 could be from just about anywhere, couldn't it? Not necessarily even Scottish, I don't think - it is only for UK birds that the leg matters, as far as I know.

• Rachel R said:

Why specifically one of Roy's? White 36 could be from just about anywhere, couldn't it? Not necessarily even Scottish, I don't think - it is only for UK birds that the leg matters, as far as I know.

I didn't say it was Scottish, just one if Roy's (or his team). He is listed as the contact for this type of ring listed here :

http://www.cr-birding.org/node/892

Best wishes

• That page is more than a little misleading, unfortunately. I understand that Roy is still the central supplier/ controller for UK darvics, but there are a good many licensed ringers around, each with their own area, and in no way his 'team' - they operate completely independently. Not all of them even pass ringing details back to Roy, so all he may know about a given darvic, is which ringer got that batch - he won't necessarily even know if it has been used, let alone having the details.

When a bird is referred to as one of Roy's, that should mean it is one he has ringed personally as part of his own study, usually in connection with tracking. I'm not sure he actually does routine ringing any longer, even in his own home area - he is over 70 after all, and has an amazing number of other things to keep on top of!

• Unfortunately this is the only page that people who read these rings can use to report the finder of the ring. You seem to have taken a very aggressive attitude to this Rachel. I suppose you think that people who read these rings should not bother Roy with the deatils??? What is point of ringing birds if they can never be reported when they are seen!! He may not ring them himself, he may send the details of ringed birds off to the indidviduals who ronged them, BUT he is still head of the project. He personally replied to me recently when I had a poor photo of a blue ring that we were trying to read.

Best wishes

• Thank you for that report of White 36 Noisette and for the link to that ringing website - I hadn't seen that before.