Osprey Conservation and Translocation Projects

While the forum’s been up & down, I prepared some material I promised a while ago, about conservation activities aimed at protecting ospreys, and persuading them to recolonise areas where they once used to breed. I’ve found some interesting material on projects from around Europe, and I hope others will join in and contribute items.
First, some background information:
This page from Roy Dennis’ website, also in his book “A Life of Ospreys”, is about nest building, but also has a lot of information about osprey breeding habits, and the factors which encourage, or hinder, recolonisation.
One of the biggest obstacles to the colonisation of new areas, is the tendency of young male ospreys to return to breed at the location where they fledged (known as philopatry). Translocation is the technique designed to overcome this, by transferring young ospreys to a new site suitable for breeding, shortly before they fledge. In Europe, it was pioneered at Rutland Water from 1996, and there are ongoing projects in several countries. This page from the Rutland Water site gives an overview of the project there:
 Ok that’s enough of the theory. First, we’re off to Spain........
  • Unknown said:

Sooty: As Mike says translocation is no easy task to carry out. If I refer you to this link you will see how complex it actually is. There are many permissions required and consultations with local landowners and fish farms etc. before any licences can be granted. Here is the link:

http://www.ospreys.org.uk/osprey-facts/the-translocation-project/

ALAN  have never looked at this thread before but what an interesting read that was. What a wonderful and exciting experience for the team and volunteers those early days must have ben

• Thanks AG valid point to think about Poole Harbour being in a populated area but the Harbour is a vast place that what were rare birds take to to breed and Little Egrets being a good example.There are lots of large wild areas there and several Ospreys stay for a time to feed up as I understand the Harbour is really well stocked with Ospreys favoured fish.There is lots of evidence of them catching fish in Poole Harbourand just one reason why we have none there.Powers that be cannot be bothered but can spend millions on helicopters to drop rat poison on some island.  

• The whole excitement of the Rutland Translocations as it happened can be found here

• This www.rspb.org.uk/.../30499.aspx update from another link on the Forum may be of comfort Sooty.

• Thanks Mike it will happen one day and we get several staying for various lengths of time and they catch fish really easily while at Arne and we all get to see them in either spring or more easily in autumn when there are several on stopover.

• I've found there is a newish edition of "Balbuzard Info" the online magazine produced by the French osprey restoration project. This mostly covers the summer of 2010 and last winter.

Balbuzard Info 22/23/24

Unfortunately the usual translation tools do not work on .pdf files. I am just looking through it myself, and if there is interest, I will summarise the important bits. Sue    

• Unknown said:

I've found there is a newish edition of "Balbuzard Info" the online magazine produced by the French osprey restoration project. This mostly covers the summer of 2010 and last winter.

Balbuzard Info 22/23/24

tiger and jsb have just asked some questions about osprey settlement in France on the Sightings thread, this is what the above document has to say about them.

The table on page 2 gives details of osprey nesting in Summer 2010. The columns are nest attempts, successful nests, and fledged young, the rows give a breakdown of the figures by Region and area. So the Centre region, including the forests of Orleans, Chambord and neighbouring areas, had 34 nests, 30 of which were successful, and 64 fledged young.

There WAS a nest closer to Paris, shown as ILE DE FRANCE - Essonne, but it hasn't been successful for a couple of years.

The single nest shown in LORRAINE - Moselle started in 2009. 

See also the map on p 3. 

• Sue C - I have had a look at this but not fluent in french only what I learnt in School. I never thought that there was so many resident Ospreys nesting in France. Is it possible that Rothes may haver met up with some of these in Summer of 2011 as an intruder and is it possible she could be enticed down to nest in France by a lonely male - just thoughts. It appears on the map most of the nesting area was away from where she stayed and probably away from her migration routing.

• Hi Keith

Rothes did not see any French nests on her way south in 2009, or last summer. In recent years the nesting area has extended down the Loire as far as Tours, but her first migration track was further west. Last summer, she didn't tour around much, apart from some trips across the estuary into Medoc.

Other "single" summering ospreys, either French born or from northern Europe, have been seen in south western France. This is why the LPO have put up nesting platforms in a number of reserves, but it has not resulted in any nesting so far, probably due to the fact that ospreys like to nest near other ospreys. As in Scotland, the growth has been outwards from the original nest at Etang du Ravoir, France's Loch Garten - see p1 of this Topic. , my post of 24 Jan 10.

Also, I have not come across any case of a British-born osprey nesting in mainland Europe, apart from one translocated to Spain. This is despite the fact that the main Loire colony is very much on the migration route for UK birds; last autumn, both Rutland adults, Ozwold and Dulas all passed through the area, NE of Orleans. But the only foreign born birds which have been identified in the colony, have been German; perhaps "ours" think that they have to cross the Channel, before they can consider nesting.

So for Rothes - who can say? In another month, we might have a better idea.