EJ

I have always felt that we should have a thread for EJ as well as Odin.

My countdown clock says that we might expect her to swoop into Loch Garten 76 days from now. I hjope it has warmed up by then.

• Yes ChloeB wait and see time.  One day I will be able to come on here and say I got it right but on this occasion I do hope I am not.

• So sorry Tiger, I meant later but the earliest was the 14/8 and I did think EJ would leave a few days ago. Has she gone  now? I hope not and I really thought when I posted and EJ fed Bynak she was ready for leaving however she was still there. I am going to be truly honest, I cannot get on the google earth website now and I have seen Rothes just lots of movements and in the same area

Seriously I coming round to tracking but not totally on-board.

The saying is for tracking is to find out what our Ospreys do but to me as long as it is not for commercial reasons and peoples indulgence then fine.

Rutland have a genunie reason.

Please do not anyone get me wrong of course I will follow this year but I am a bit sceptical.

• So sorry Tiger, I meant later but the earliest was the 14/8 and I did think EJ would leave a few days ago. Has she gone  now? I hope not and I really thought when I posted and EJ fed Bynak she was ready for leaving however she was still there. I am going to be truly honest, I cannot get on the google earth website now and I have seen Rothes just lots of movements and in the same area

Seriously I am coming round to tracking but not totally on-board.

The saying is for tracking is to find out what our Ospreys do but to me as long as it is not for commercial reasons and peoples indulgence then fine.

Rutland have a genunie reason.

Please do not anyone get me wrong of course I will follow this year but I am a bit sceptical.

• double entry, my book is still openminded

• EJ is still very much around and delivered 2 fish this evening.

• Alan yes and EJ on the nest with Bynak, she does seem to stay around later and now to look after Bynak There is 6 days difference and if anyone knows does that make a significant difference. Perhaps not. I need to read Roy Dennis's book but this yr things have not gone as the book says and that is what makes these truly magnificent Ospreys so interesting.

• 6 Days difference in the nest can be a big significance but generally only if there was a brood of three and food is scarce. In the circumstances this year I do not think it will be that significant. This is why Roy tags only the stronger two of three. The first generally is dominant as has been very much seen the past three seasons and EJ has stayed around keeping an eye not necessarily on the youngest but probably the least dominant - I have observed this in my notes.

In 2008 Rothes surprised us all leaving 9 August only three weeks after fledging - EJ stayed on until 27/8 mainly caring for Mallachie but eventually abandoned her leaving her home alone to eventually leave two days later (Odin went 22/8).

2009 Number 1 chick migrated well ahead of the others 14/8 (11 days prior to the other two) and EJ stayed on looking after these until 21/8. They both left 25/8 along with Odin.

So I think looking after Bynak is a trend she has done and tended to leave the dominant to its own. She probably expects Tore to leave soon maybe she will stay on for a week till she feels Bynak is then ready. I think she is a very caring female - some others are not - Beatrice tends to wander off on her own after the chicks fledge so all are different. Lady was an early leaver also.

This is only my interpretation from notes I have made.

• Keith, interesting notes.  I don't have the data to support it but I also intuit she will stay to care for Bynack a bit.  

Can anyone say the best time to see EJ?  I miss the early am due to the time difference and do want to see her before she goes if possible.

• Tiger just posted a picture of EJ taken on her migration (I think) She had been fishing  . It is on the  "Osprey Chat Thread for September 2011."  Page 41

Formerly known as Barbara Jean