EJ

I have always felt that we should have a thread for EJ as well as Odin.

My countdown clock says that we might expect her to swoop into Loch Garten 76 days from now. I hjope it has warmed up by then.

• CRinger said:

You heard the gavel from there Mary? Yikes - I will do it quieter next time. People are sleeping.

LOL.....  you woke me up I was just nodding off and ready to go to bed....  wink!!!

Chloe/Tiger ~ I can just imagine the look on both your faces when you saw Monty do that, wasn't that the first time they paired and bred and Monty did some unusual things at first didnt he, I am trying to recall as I only started watching last year.

• Yes it was their first year Mary. Don't know whether he ever did it again. Must ask.

Monty looked absolutely besotted :)

• I thought in the first few weeks they looked inexperienced but Nora wasnt long in getting the hang of it all and she made a fine Mother, and Monty was the perfect provider.  

• CRinger said:

I am waiting with baited breath...

I adored the selling of the sole. 

I can't decide if the first bold is in honour of the second, or an inadvertent spello ;-D

As for your quest for the provenance of "male ospreys sometime brood chicks", CRinger - cor!  (I said you were forensic and it's true!)  Then we find out that the behaviour has been seen - what a source this forum is!  All the more galling that the Management disdain its members so.

• Mary GK   Well I do not think I saw that live. Remember we had the amazing excitement of Sunday 5th June 2011 when Einion hatched. Lunch got postponed as long as possible. After a late lunch Chloe and I came back to the Dyfi visitors centre and waited to see if Monty would bring in a fish.

In fact a number of people said that Monty was not anywhere as good as 11 (98) at Glaslyn as he would have a fish ready and waiting for the new arrival.

Well we hung on as long as we could but had to to leave round 6 pm with Monty still not having brought in a fish. I am led to believe it was quite late when he brought the first meal and then as has been well documented Nora did not really know how to feed the newly hatched chick. Still she did with a bit of practice.

Here is Nora trying to feed the chicks.

As we all know Monty is a great fishrman!

I guess we could have a fish off between him and 11 (98)

There is a video of Nora practicing a feed but I am not sure where it is.

• Tiger ~ Thank You for bringing it all back to me, I remember that now when Nora was practising feeding at the edge of the nest into thin air, and that Monty wasnt so good at bringing the fish in at the beginning.....   but bless them they weren't long until they got the hang of it, and looked what they produced 3 fine and healthy Ospreys.

PS: Nite Nite all, off to bed....

• I loved the sole, my intended 'baited' pales into insignificance beside it, but at least I tried Scylla. Thx for noticing. I think Keith's witnesses are either reluctant in coming forward or need a lot of coaching. After being told to watch this space they are noticeable by their absence.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• While the forum members are 'on a roll' in proving that a myth, with no scientific evidence, is in fact true, but they are the first 'genuine obervers' of this - can I introduce another 'bete noir' of mine?

Tiger - I don't think this is probably the right thread for my question - please feel free to tell me where I should post it............. what are the member's views as to whether an adult osprey 'teaches' its offspring to fish? Not an EJ question I know.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• CRinger said:

While the forum members are 'on a roll' in proving that a myth, with no scientific evidence, is in fact true, but they are the first 'genuine obervers' of this - can I introduce another 'bete noir' of mine?

Tiger - I don't think this is probably the right thread for my question - please feel free to tell me where I should post it............. what are the member's views as to whether an adult osprey 'teaches' its offspring to fish? Not an EJ question I know.

I dare say that the Q&A  thread would be good.

• CRinger said:

While the forum members are 'on a roll' in proving that a myth, with no scientific evidence, is in fact true, but they are the first 'genuine obervers' of this - can I introduce another 'bete noir' of mine?

CRinger: It's utter nonsense whatever thread it's on!