EJ

I have always felt that we should have a thread for EJ as well as Odin.

My countdown clock says that we might expect her to swoop into Loch Garten 76 days from now. I hjope it has warmed up by then.

• I think the "Not Proven" verdict would be appropriate Cringer, this applies in Scottish Courts of Law!     This is all very interesting and the banter is hilarious. 

• I am not sure others will agree Mary - there are those who thought that she should never have been 'charged' in the first place. Personally, I think that the Procurator Fiscal would have thrown it out, before it got to any jury, but if he didn't. then I personally agree - not proven may be the most appropriate conclusion.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Yes I think this is a good "verdict" Cringer, this should surely keep all sides happy, LOL.... for me I would never believe that EJ could do any wrong LOL....  

• While my friend Keith is away attemping to bribe witnesses, perhaps I can add a 'serious' note....... and expand a little on what I said about 'if things aren't challeneged then eventually they are accepted as fact.' I will give an example if I may. About 10 years ago I read a book about ospreys and it said that the male osprey may occasionally brood the chicks. I had not heard or witnessed this behaviour before so was interested where the information came from. Like all good books they had 'referenced' their source - another book. So eventually I got the source book from the library and read it avidly. The author, like the previous book, gave a reference - yet another book. I asked for that from the library and eventually it came. The authors again have their source as another book. So that's 3 books written telling you that male ospreys sometimes brood their chicks. Eventually, 5 books later I got what I wanted - an impeccable source - only BWP - Cramp and Simmons (1980). They then gave as their source a paper written by Garber and Koplin in 1972 - so - I got the paper. Unfortunately, when I read it the original paper mentioned NOTHING about a male osprey brooding chicks - it said the male osprey shared incubation duties with the female - the first reported case in the carolinensis sub-species - but nothing about brooding. So, someone got muddled up, as a result of which 'the Bible' BWP reported that male ospreys occasionally brood their young and this myth was then repeated in at least 5 books that I read. Even though BWP had been published 15 years before I found all this out I did write to them suggesting that they might want to amend future editions. What appears to have been a myth (if anyone knows of male ospreys brooding chicks please let me know) became a 'fact' that was repeated in at least 5 books that I read, all due to 1 misunderstanding.

I think EJ is a special bird who needs no misunderstanding, so bring it on Keith.  

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Cringer I take it "Your Rest Your Case!" BANG goes the gavel! LOL

• Monty actually brooded the hatching chicks briefly last year. Can that be counted? We watched that on screen in the VC and were mesmerised and astounded! :)

• Didn't Monty brood the chicks at Dyfi last year?

• You heard the gavel from there Mary? Yikes - I will do it quieter next time. People are sleeping.

• Then I believe, thanks to the forum and the webcam we do have a first. I am happy to accept that evidence. As far as I am aware no paper has been published saying that this has been witnessed before. Even more reason to celebrate the forum and the web-cam watchers. I think BQP should now cite the Forum in its next edition and keep the male brooding - even if only brief - in there!