Dotting is and crossing ts

For those who are interested in osprey 'ancestry'.............

With regard to Sue C's post: of 19th March 2011:

2003       EJ lost her nest to a more aggressive female,

The female in question was Green 7B. EJ had laid eggs and, having seen off EJ, Green 7B bought in nesting material which she placed over the eggs. Green 7B was unsuccessful in breeding that year - but in 2002 she had (as a 2 year old) arrived late at the Loch Garten nest. There had been many disputes between male ospreys at Garten that year as the male osprey (Olly) who had 'reigned supreme' for many years had not returned. Green 7B persuaded the conquering male to feed her, but did not produce eggs.

Green 7B also had an ancestral link to LG - she was Olly's grand-daughter.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• I can not add to this.

However I have always thought do Ospreys recognise their offspring years on if they should ever meet up. the actual chance of that happening is slim although with RW it is more of a National Reserve.

At LG in recent years how many of EJ offspring have returned to visit the nest - None that we are aware of.

It would be more likely a male offspring may turn up.

I know Rothiemurchus returned to his paternal site but did he dare land on the nest - I never heard from Roy whether he did but may be wrong. If he did what response did he get.

My thoughts were that they do not recognise their offspring or sibblings but it is only thoughts.

Regarding the other interesting topics - I think the birds are very opportunistic and will visit other nests to see if there are opportunities to be gained - not sure as a buddy though. Maybe fishing for a buddy may well be the phrase (When the cat is away the mouse will play).

These are just my own thoughts and unproven.

• Referring back to 1990. I have always wondered as to how an osprey could be killed by a fox?

• Hi Tiger - a fair question. I wasn't there, so have no idea. The only scenario that springs to mind is this.......... I know that Roy has to use all his experience to judge when to ring chicks - if it is left too late then although the chicks can't 'properly' fly, if the nest is approached, they may well decide to jump from it. That could well be disasterous for the young osprey. Its possible that in 1990, probably at night, the chicks may have been 'spooked' by something and leapt from the nest. If they reached the ground they may have then been unable to get to safety - a perch in a tree - and therefore became victims of a fox.

As to what spooked them, again, we can only speculate. I do recall tho' 1 season when Olive had just laid she was a nightly target for a tawny owl who had set up territory close to the osprey nest and who took exception to an osprey in 'her territory.' Olive was divebombed for many minutes each night and had to take avoiding action. The worry was she would step on and break her eggs. Not sure this helps, as its only guesswork, but still its a possible explanation.

Some people think Ospreys are a matter of life and death. I don't like that attitude. I can assure them it is much more serious than that. 

• Yes but both chicks had fledged in 1990. Then they somehow died later. One though of mine is that they were weak and somehow were down on the ground when a fox got them. That begs the question how did both of them get caught by a fox?

• Hazel b said:

Yes but both chicks had fledged in 1990. Then they somehow died later. One though of mine is that they were weak and somehow were down on the ground when a fox got them. That begs the question how did both of them get caught by a fox?

I am leaving this post even though it does contain inaccuracies.

This was the year that Ollie and a partner evicted the sitting couple. Also they were running rather late that year as they seem to have arrived on 5 May.

Also it seems that only one of the juveniles was killed by a fox the other just died.

I wonder if they really did fledge?

• My very very novice thoughts in answer to CRINGER's Q about differences in behaviour towards an intruder, in a good number of species, bird or otherwise, there are behaviours "stances" that say "Hi I am not an aggressor" is it poss that the stranger ospreys may have conveyed this message somehow to the resident birds, who had instinctly reacted initially and then relaxed when they received this message?????

• Patily  The problem with that is that intruding is an agressive move. Would you allow anintruder into your house?

• Some interesting ideas - thanks for all of you who have given an opinion - I'll share mine tomorrow - last chance for anyone to try and explain what I saw before I put my 4 pennyworth in - and I certainly am not saying I am right!!!! - any ideas, no matter how 'off the wall' would be good to read - don't be shy!

• This is similar but different. I always regard DPOF 2006 as the most gripping osprey nest ever. There were many reasons for that not least the battles of the youngest chick Flag to get a meal.(I saw that live and it was amazing)

Then on 21st August 2006 something happened which was new to us at the time. The two juveniles Stripe and Flag were in the nest and an intruding juvenile turned up. Now this intruder was tougher than either of the two resident juveniles. He/she demanded bed and board for the night and got it. In the morning they were gone. The original message board is still there. See   21 August 2006  My comment about Dennis refers to his Charlie Chaplin like feet. I was wondering if the intruder was a son/daughter of Dennis.

Sadly there is no video available as the cam had broken down in early August. DPOF still has an archive of what went on from 2003 to 2009 which was the last year of the DPOF cam.

That was also the year of The Mystery of The Missing Egg

• We know that osprey spend half their lives in two different areas of the world each year.

Also they can communicate, by calling, posturing, etc.

They have the ability to remember large amounts of data, to facilitate migrations.

They group together sometimes in their second homes on migration.

As well as protecting food supplies in times of shortage, by chasing away others........

They may? communicate with others about good fishing areas, as we have seen 'flocks' of osprey in those places.

Such circumstances could propogate friendships between them?

Their migration lifestyle means that they have some dramatic experiences.

Would they wish to tell a friendly bird of their migration?

Would they wish to "discuss" their natal location?

Would they wish to discuss their home nest, mate or offspring?

Assuming that some of this may have some substance then......perhaps the "sharing" of details of their home location could result in a near neighbour, being able to recognise that they were close to each other nestwise?

If some of this above has some relevance, then with their friend approaching their nest, with their good eyesight they would recognise each other from a distance...and upon meeting, maybe result in the welcome one would give an old friend.

My theory is given in the spirit that the question was asked!

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies