The Osprey Chat Thread for September 2011

In response to the demand for an osprey chat thread I am now making one for September 2011.  I guess there will be quite a bit to chat about given the success of the extension thread.

• But WHAT a year GRAHAM - Odin the magnificent arrives !!! What a blessed turn up for the books.

• And how!.

Got to go.Doctors app. just blood presure. Back later

Dogs have owners,Cats have staff.

• AW (adult bird from Rutland) is just north of malaga. See here.

• moffer said:

AW (adult bird from Rutland) is just north of malaga. See here.

He has really slowed down hasn't he? Looks like he is heading for Africa though.

As there are so many ospreys returning to Rutland some people speculated that they were going to Spain rather than Africa. The moment of truth has arrived.

• Hello Everyone, and welcome GrahamT.  How wonderful for you to have a cottage in Scotland.  I have a cottage holiday each year, but sadly not necessarily with osprey access!  Yesterday I had a day at Wicken Fen (NT) walking the reserve and cycling the Lode Way, and thoroughly enjoying the sunshine which has been sadly lacking during August.  I even convinced myself I spotted an osprey high, high in the sky - it was certainly a bird of prey..... I can dream!!  I must check out Alan's thread of osprey sightings and see if one might have been SW of there at 2.30pm!  However, I should add that Marsh Harriers are recorded there - do they fly higher and higher I wonder!  They have Hen Harriers in the winter too.

What a day of updates and news yesterday brought.  I love the idea of Beatrice and Rothes saying hello to each other and catching up on their summers.  Is there any reason why Beatrice (and presumably a lot of other birds) over-winters in Spain rather than heading down to west Africa?  I guess our birds and those from Norway need to head south to be able to feed during the winter months, but why travel over the dangerous African deserts when Spain could offer a suitable location.  And then we have the birds in Florida who just stay put.  Amazing!!!

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• I meant to say how wonderfully stunning Andy Nguyen's photos are.  Thank you RACHEL for giving the link.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Sheila the first bird ever tracked by Roy Dennis was  S06

The set the transmision for a certain date and when they turned on she was in Spain. They thought "Oh it is a stopover" but it was not. She had finished her migration. She is the mother of some of the ospreys translocated to Rutland but I am not sure which ones.

Apparently she is still alive and Roy Dennis mentions her from time to time.

• I see SO6 had the common sense to find a new route for her spring migration  .  Phew!! And must have visited Rothes favourite spot on her slightly  new Autumn migration in  2000

• Hazel b said:

AW (adult bird from Rutland) is just north of malaga. See here.

He has really slowed down hasn't he? Looks like he is heading for Africa though.

As there are so many ospreys returning to Rutland some people speculated that they were going to Spain rather than Africa. The moment of truth has arrived.

[/quote]

Not necessarily Tiger. He is not that far from where Beatrice over winters. Only time will tell.

A pink X marks the spot where Beatrice is.

• Cirrus the juveniles have to take pot luck. The adults know what they are doing.