The Osprey Chat Thread for September 2011

In response to the demand for an osprey chat thread I am now making one for September 2011.  I guess there will be quite a bit to chat about given the success of the extension thread.

• I've not long finished (in fact I haven't yet finished) saving the beautiful Perth osprey photos.  But I cannot get too much of these fabulous birds, so thank you, Rachel :-)

As for GE, looks like yet another barren day :'(

IMAGICAT

• Rachel R said:

An amazing series of photos from a nest in Florida - 'nestoration' to fledging in 30 brilliant photos. Apologies if this link has already been posted. 

Thanks, Rachel.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Wow Rachel. Thanks for those fantastic photos. It's a bit sad that only one chick survived though.

No GE update today :o(

I won't mention Funky Monkey (the orca) from last nights TV show, as it's not Osprey related. (well smack my hands and call me naughty)

I can't keep up with all the threads, so I shall be here for the most and sometimes look in at the other ones.

• Unknown said:

Hi CIRRUS  Thank you for the welcome.

I'm brand new here,just registered today, in fact this is the first chat site i've ever registered on. I made the mistake of posting info about an owl nest in africa.

Instead of pointing out my mistake and directing me to the right thread,I was greeted with sarcasm from some.Are all chat sites like this to a "newby".

Don't worry about it Graham, we are normally a happy bunch.  Welcome to the forum :o) (I think that the owl is cool, and have added it to my favourites, so thank you for that )

• Evening, moffer. I thought it odd that only one survived from that nest - there was no suggestion of exceptionally bad weather, so maybe suggests that the male isn't the greatest provider.

Pretty much agree with you re threads. I can comfortably keep up with this plus the various 'data' threads (as long as those stay reasonably focused, which is why we have this). I do like to look in on the more general 'chat' threads from time to time, and I love the way people look out for and care about each other, but I just don't have the leisure to keep track of everything, nice though it would be to be more fully part of the community. I'd probably have to give up altogether if all the factual updates got mixed up in one very general thread - I very rarely bother with Wildlife Village forum (for LotL) now, for just that reason.

• moffer said:

Hi CIRRUS  Thank you for the welcome.

I'm brand new here,just registered today, in fact this is the first chat site i've ever registered on. I made the mistake of posting info about an owl nest in africa.

Instead of pointing out my mistake and directing me to the right thread,I was greeted with sarcasm from some.Are all chat sites like this to a "newby".

Don't worry about it Graham, we are normally a happy bunch.  Welcome to the forum :o) (I think that the owl is cool, and have added it to my favourites, so thank you for that )

[/quote]Here here MOFFER Quite frankly I was shocked at some of the sarcastic comments

I don't follow Weekly chat  the messages seem rather long and involved especially if you haven't been following the full story. Surely a sight tangent now and then isn't going to cause too much "harm" I too have added PP Owl to my favourites bar.

• Red 8T is finding his way back to his usual migration route.

Beatrice has reached her wintering ground in southern Spain.

Joe is having a tour of the reservoirs in the Cantabrian mountains. A bit of a rest for this very quick flying bird. There are wolves and bears where he is!!!

Ozwald has not moved.

• Hi GrahamT, welcome to the group. :-)

Is PP Owl's cam up and running again? I watched them last season, it is such a good site!

If nothing goes right, go left! :-)

• Rachel R said:

An amazing series of photos from a nest in Florida - 'nestoration' to fledging in 30 brilliant photos. Apologies if this link has already been posted. 

Those are so lovely Rachel. A really good find.

I guess that the ospreys in Florida will be the next ones to be looking for nests.

• moffer said:

Red 8T is finding his way back to his usual migration route.

Beatrice has reached her wintering ground in southern Spain.

Joe is having a tour of the reservoirs in the Cantabrian mountains. A bit of a rest for this very quick flying bird. There are wolves and bears where he is!!!

Ozwald has not moved.

Red 8T is such an interesting osprey. He had a short romance with EJ back in 2005 until Heny arrived and showed him the sky!