Visiting Loch Garten and Strathspey

I offered to start this Topic before my own trip to Scotland, so thought I'd better get on with it. 

The idea - somewhere to bring together people's accounts of their visits, photos, useful information, questions from those planning a trip - a sort of scrapbook really. 

I still need to write up my own visit, but anyone is welcome to post material or links here.       

• Thanks for the comments everyone but it’s left me wondering what to include, as some people have been to Loch Garten many times, others not at all! Yes Sunshine I went past Lochindorb later in the week, though in the rain.

I spent the next day visiting the Rothiemurchus estate, which lies to the southeast of Aviemore – the name means “Plain of the great pines”. The estate has a long connection with ospreys; in the nineteenth century, the Lairds of Rothiemurchus tried to protect the last osprey nests on their land from egg collectors, and when ospreys returned to Strathspey in the 1960’s, they worked with the RSPB to protect them. The estate owns the well-known fishery where local ospreys – including EJ when she’s fishing - are welcomed, and they are sponsors of Roy Dennis’ satellite tracked osprey Rothiemurchus, who hatched on their land.

The Rothiemurchus centre at Inverdruie was about 15 mins walk from Aviemore station (and my digs). This houses a gift shop, delicatessen, cafe and booking office for the outdoor activities on offer around the estate. I bought an Explorer Card for £1.50 – this comes with a map of walks or cycle routes, various other freebies and discounts – and decided to do the walk to, and around, Loch an Eilein which is about 6 miles. On the way I passed Lochan Mor, the Lily Loch. 

• I've just picked up this thread Sue and find it very interesting.  Many years ago when we were living in Scotland we had a few days at Granton-on-Spey and passed the entrance to LG, unfortunately at that time I hadn't the interest I had now although my father was a member of the RSPB for many years and had visited Loch Garten at least once.  My interest started after we lost dad and I took up membership in rememberance of his long interest in bird watching.

Its a lovely part of the world and we toured round the area.  Its nice to read about it in a little more depth by people who have been there.   Thank you.

• Oh you've got me all excited.

Going up that way v soon, hope to get to LG with the kids. Then Loch an Eilean so they can get purple tounges!! Lochandorb - they really love to practice casting over the shallow water, looking for the ospreys + watching the gndivers. Then Findhorn for some cappers + down to the coast to see the ospreys there + watch for dolphins.

Oh yes getting all excited.

Many thanks for this inspiring thread about an area of the country I love + have been returning to sisnce knee high!!

'In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks'  John Muir.       

Excuse wobbily dyslexic spelling!

• Oooo, Sue, thanks so much for this thread.

I am saving all of this to a Scotland/LG folder

I have no idea  when I'll next be able to visit Scotland but it's always on my ''dream'' list

•  

Oh yes, Lochindorb!  To me a very magical place. The silence of it all........with the stronghold of the "Wolf of Badenoch" on the island.  It is another place where I have to have a pilgrimage when I am in the area! 

I have inserted a couple of photos taken fairly late in the evening for those who do not know it.

• I love this area so much that we holiday here most summers either in Grantown / Cromdale. Thought that I'd add a few pics of the area for those of you that enjoy scenery. Not many ospreys as they always seem to be away of in the distance. Seen them closer every where but LG!! Lol

View to the north towards the Black Isles take at the end of the 12th Aug quite a few guns out on the hill that day!!

A less arty shot  with the heather about to explode into flower + the most wonderfully massive sky.

This is a view from the north of Lochindorb looking south, the island is there in the distance. Much of this area is proposed to have huge wind farms errected on it if they persuade the Scottish Goverment.

GNDiver family swimming past the castle island on Lochindorb. They are often to be seen here, my Mum remembers having picnics on the island as a child + this is the loch I learnt to fly fish (poorly) on. Although my mob love this shallow loch + spend hrs pottering in the water if there is a wee bit wind, otherwise the midgies keep us away!!

This is Loch an Eilean another with an island castle. This is from a few yrs back with those of mine that existed + my sisters crew. This is a great circular walk to do quite long for wee legs but flattish + a new discovery round every bend. A great place to see Crested Tits + Red Squirrels!!

This is a tiny wee rd that we call the Findhorn although its probably one of its tributaries. Great place to watch for Capercailles, huge birds they give you a real shock the first time they reveal themselves in the forest. Always have a picnic up here + the bridge there has been in 4 generations of oliday photos.

My Gran used to go up to Grantown every summer after she had been with her parents. Now I have an Uncle in the area so makes for a good base. The kids love the area as well so we are all now looking forward to some down time up this way!!

• VALC & OSPREY -- those pictures are bringing tears to my eyes. they are brilliant .. OSPREY the walk round  LOCH an EILAEN Is great. did you notice the house down the right hand side of the loch, just before you enter the wood.. they used to have bird feeders at the rear of the house. Also did you detour round LOCH GAMHNA.. a wonderful area

• Hey Valc love the pics!!

Sunshine - it is a wonderful part of the world (+ its in Scotland)!! Loch an Eilaen is brilliant we usually go the other way round the loch + end up near the wee house - what a house, the cherry tree outside is brilliant, great insentive to get to the end of the walk for wee legged folk!! A german family saw us gathering some fruit last time we were round, pi8cked a few + went on walking, a wee bit later they returned with a carrier bag each!! Not many for others after that.

Not been round Loch Gamhna, thats the loch away at the end isn't it? We have walked over the boards between the 2 but never ventured further - something (else) to look forward too. Not this year as tiny 2.5yrs is a bit wee to go that far, but soon.

So looking forward to our hols, 2wks+ Hghlands, Aberdeenshire + ELothian here we come!! Also hoping for dolphins + adventures round the Ythan estuary, hopefully see osprey fishing there, normally lucky with that one ;-)

• Lovely pictures - saw an Osprey hovering above the River Spey beside Cromdale on my previous visit two weeks ago (Visited today also). Richard said this was one of the favourite areas of the river where they fish because there is a lull in the flow. I would love to live around these photos in the summer but like the ospreys would need to migrate as I don,t think I would survive the winter - Inverurie Aberdeenshire is bad enough. Enjoy your trip Osprey.