What Have Ospreys Done For You?

Everyone here is obviously an osprey enthusiast. How did you first discover the magic of ospreys and what have they done for you?

For me my love affair with ospreys began in the early eighties. I went into a bargain basement bookshop in central London and bought a discounted osprey book called "The Scottish Ospreys from extinction to survival" by Philip Brown. It was a book I very much enjoyed reading but there it remained. After that I did not hear much more about ospreys until the mid to late nineties. There was some footage of the Loch Garten ospreys shown in the late nineties but although I may have it on video somewhere I cannot locate it.

In July 1999 I found that Rutland Water had launched a new website to cover their translocation project which had begun in 1996. I became an immediate fan.

1999 also marked the start of osprey tracking. I found that facinating as I still do.

The first osprey cam I remember was most likely at Blackwater, Maryland. It was one new picture about every 15 minutes. It did not really change life that much.

The great saga of Henry and EJ and OVS began in 2003 and that ran for five years.

Then on around 1st  June 2004 I discovered what was the original streaming osprey webcam. It was DPOF and it was so exciting. From there on life was forever different.

From there it has just grown and grown. It means that five or six months of the year just flash past. It has meant meeting a wonderful group of people. Also being at a loose end is a thing of the past.

Thanks to the wonder of the osprey.

• As the season draws to a close I think of this thread again. I wonder at how birds can produce such incredible joy in the life of the Loch Garten Group and around the internet. I love the way ospreys seem to induce a sense of community where no one is left out.

I never imagined that the year would be as exciting as it has been. I wonder what pleasures and sorrows 2012 will bring?

Since I last wrote in this thread I have had a wonderful holiday  centred on the Loch Garten osprey centre. It was such a lovely adventure. Seeing the work of the centre first hand is really valuable. If people have not been to Loch Garten then make sure you go, sooner or later.

I see that another member has created a similar thread for birds.

• Ditto Tiger, my sentiments exactly.

The 2011 season has not been without its share of sorrows but there have been so many joyful and historical moments too. It is a privelege to be a part of this whole experience, part of the world of ospreys.

• I guess some of the newer members may not have seen this thread.

• Wow where do you start, I remember the headlines in the paper Osprey returns Loch-------

then the year after I heard there was a watch point, so as we were on a touring holiday I decided to try to find it, nothing like it is now with big bold sign posts, just bits of card on a fench post, through a wood with no real roads, we just happend to see some walkers. who put us in the right direction, parking car, dont forget there was not the amount of cars as now, we had to park on the grass verge, walked into the woods, when we came across a little hut about 10'X10' inside was a man who told us all about what was happening, and pointed to a scope that was set up, on a brilliant looking scots pine, and it was a great distance away, but sure enough the bird came in with a fish, to feed its mate who stuck her head up, that was our first ever sight of an osprey, I believe the nest was in a different wood to the one now, we have been back in recent years, and walk round the loch, and I believe we have found the original site, one of our favorite sites is a visit to the fish farm at rothimurchas, a walk around will guarantee sightings of these wonderful birds. Alan

always many sides to an argument

• jackfrost   Oh that sounds absolutely great. A real eye witness account of the very early days at Loch Garten. There is a map here of how the eyrie has changed over the years. I think that tree you are talking about was the eyrie tree  from 1959 to 1978 (although it may have continued to be in the same tree after that. If not it is very close by).

When Chloe and I were at Loch Garten last year we tried to spot the tree that  hosted the eyrie from 1954 to 1958. Not sure it exists any longer but it would be interesting if it did.

• jackfrost  interesting post, thank you.

Margobird

• Thanks Tiger We were spot on with our diduction,that shows how far you had to walk to the watch point. I also think the roads were not tarmaced like today. but all dirt tracks. Alan

• Hi Tiger, just been looking, and I hope you dont mind I have copied the map, if you look at the 56 eyrie at whitwell, well the croft house where we stay, and are staying again this may is about an inch below that eyrie, thats an inch on map about 3/4 towards loch an-eilien. Alan

• I have just checked on the 1956 eyrie. For some odd reason I always thought that was the 54 eyrie. It shows you can never read these things too often. Apparently the eggs were taken by a crow. The BBC had some recordings of the sounds of alarmed ospreys.

Not sure you have ever heard The Bird Boys.  It is a wonderful audio covering that period around 1954 to 1959.