Technical Test Thread

I have decided to start this thread for discussing technical issues that come up rather than messing up the other threads.

I guess the first issue seems to be pasting Word text into posting boxes.

Recently we have had three threads lockup up as a result of posts involving Word text.

• When looking back on LotL links just provided to ID Lady, I came across Scylla's remark ..... "Raddled with age" ... describes me perfectly when dealing with all PC probs!! Rofl

Also glad to know you are still 'up & at 'em!'

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Scylla. Great news, "Mission Control" restored. Bet the National Grid noticed you were not up to full power!. LoL.

• WendyBartter said:
    downloaded VLC, although there is a message saying unstable

Wendy, you may not know that versions of software that haven't quite been finalised but are considered fit for release are known as "unstable", and the final release is "stable".  Also, you will see "alpha" and "beta" versions - usually these are only installed by experienced users who will send in bug reports to help the developers perfect their software.

All the above is what I've gleaned, and it's in the ballpark of truth ;-)

Thanks to everyone for their realisation of what I've been thru, except CHLOE who's just used it as an excuse to insult me ;-D

IMAGICAT

• scylla said:
    Thanks to everyone for their realisation of what I've been thru, except CHLOE who's just used it as an excuse to insult me ;-D

LOL now would I do that scylla?? Moi? :)))

• I've been using IE on my 15" laptop to display and record the LG cam, but it suddenly started changing the page so I've just gone back to Firefox (had had problems with Windows Media Player plug-in, sorta resolved).

However, Firefox doesn't have a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom - it does on other websites but not on RSPB's LG cam page.  Mozilla says:

"Some websites use CSS code (overflow-x: hidden or overflow-y:hidden) to hide the scroll bar(s), but that is usually the vertical scroll bar"...

I wondered if other users experience the same problem and anything can be done about it?

IMAGICAT

• Hi scylla. Not quite sure what you mean there. I don't remember ever having a horizontal scroll bar on that page, only a vertical one.

• Thanks, Chloe.  Of course, I won't remember what I had last season but I didn't have the problem I have this season, where I cannot narrow down the browser I'm screen-capturing (keeping the nest fully visible), so's I can open other things beside it with plenty of space between.  The LG browser must be on the right of the screen, so's I don't crick my neck tooo badly when glancing over at it ;-)

Aha!  It's all come back to me - I was using Opera and the Carnyx cam RIP... all is now clear.

IMAGICAT

• If I want to make a page smaller I open it in a tab on my browser, in my case Chrome, tear off the tab and resize it with the arrows. Still don't get horizontal scroll bar whether in Chrome, IE, FF or Opera.

• Thanks, as usual, for responding, CHLOE.  The only time I've torn off a tab is by accident, I'll give it a try but not now cos it's coming up to 1100hr when the cam player is going to be changed...

In response to which I typed this on the blog but didn't post it, I posted a short 'n sweet with a typo in instead >:(

This wasn't thought thru from the point of view of the victim - I mean, consumer.  The new player requires constant manual attention as it will not auto-play when refreshed to recover from stream freezes.

Why this crippled player had to be inflicted on the RSPB site beats me - it's available on Carnyx.tv to anyone who wants it.

I have been dreading this moment since the new player went live on the Carnyx site last year.  It's probably the end of an era for me, I shall no longer be able to monitor 24/7 the No1 osprey nest in the world and produce recordings embedded with copyright and date/time.

I just have to say it somewhere.  No-one can know how devastated I am, and I dare say that no-one cares either, it's MY problem because of the time, money and emotion I've invested in putting LG on the record.

I hope I will be forgiven for venting here.

IMAGICAT

• Before I send this 'Heartbleed' conflicting advice to my Neighbourhood Watch Newsletter readers. Any comment or views would be welcome.

My initial reaction would be not to use sensitive sites, such as on-line banking, unless absolutely necessary. It is always difficult for Joe Public to assess these warnings and how they may be affected, until something actually happens.

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies