Technical Test Thread

I have decided to start this thread for discussing technical issues that come up rather than messing up the other threads.

I guess the first issue seems to be pasting Word text into posting boxes.

Recently we have had three threads lockup up as a result of posts involving Word text.

• Unknown said:

I tried to attach an .ods (Open Document Spreadsheet) file to a message yesterday and it was blocked by the forum software, which does allow .xls (MS Office 97 spreadsheet format).

Open Office allows you to save a spreadsheet in .xls format rather than in its native .ods. That might be a way round your problem.

[/quote]
    Yes I know that, and I did as such in my original posting. I still find it faintly ridiculous that they block such extensions - it appears to be a whitelist rather than blacklist system, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
    I actually use LibreOffice these days, which seems to be developing faster since most of the programmers left the OpenOffice project due to Oracle's purchase of Sun Microsystems, and their well-documented history of restrictive licensing.

"Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity. And I'm not too sure about the universe..." - Albert Einstein

• I have just bought Microsoft Office for my laptop.  It is the box with the disk in.  The product key is on back of a card inside.  I keep getting this message?  Surely it is new and do not understand.

The Office 2010 Product Key provided represents a product which is not eligible for free download. Please re-enter your Product Key and try again, etc

• Unknown said:

I have just bought Microsoft Office for my laptop.  It is the box with the disk in.  The product key is on back of a card inside.  I keep getting this message?  Surely it is new and do not understand.

The Office 2010 Product Key provided represents a product which is not eligible for free download. Please re-enter your Product Key and try again, etc

There should be a  16 charcter product key on your disk. If you key it in   four characters at a time it should work.

It seems some people have had problems with it. See  video

I thought most people used Open Office these days?

• Tiger Thanks,  I have done this about 10 times now and it does not work. I do not want to take it back and look a fool.

I have it on my PC but not on my Laptop.  Not heard of Open Office

Will look at the link thanks

• No it does not work. I wonder if I should remove the Office on my laptop that is not activated and start from Scratch?

This is the whole message I am getting

The Office 2010 Product Key provided represents a product which is not eligible for free download.   Please re-enter your Product Key and  try again, or check the list of eligible products.  If this does not work, you may be interested in downloading a free trial or purchasing Office 2010 products at http://www.office.com

• Unknown said:

Tiger Thanks,  I have done this about 10 times now and it does not work. I do not want to take it back and look a fool.

I have it on my PC but not on my Laptop.  Not heard of Open Office

Will look at the link thanks

Maybe the problem is the number of licences you got. Maybe it only allows you to use it once.

I do not thik that should be so but it may be.

• I got it from Asda Doggie and it has 3 users Tiger and not used any of them it will  not let me.

I think I should take it back and use Open Office Tiger thanks its free lol

• Unknown said:

I got it from Asda Doggie and it has 3 users Tiger and not used any of them it will  not let me.

I think I should take it back and use Open Office Tiger thanks its free lol

Open Office works very well from what I see.