Weekly Chat page, Tuesday, September 1, 2009

OK, let's see how this goes. Maybe use this page for general chat, which can include ospreys, but also non-osprey related chatter? It also doesn't have to be Daily, but time will tell. It may not take shape until after the Diary goes away.

As Carol noted, Tiger set up the "Tracking Rothes and Mallachie" page, which might be the best place for serious observations about our girls and their progress. There's also a "Tracking Other UK Ospreys" page .

In the meantime, we can twitter on about ospreys, dogs, guinea pigs, kids, vacations, etc., - and post poems - here without boring the "osprey only" members of the community.

Feel free to boo loudly and make suggestions if you see any problems. Thanks everyone!

• Hi Annette!  ;-)  What a lovely breath of fresh air you bring!  Very appropriate, since this is the first day of our Spring here.  My bit of local news is that our resident magpies have a brand new brood of nestlings as of about 3 days ago.  The mother maggie is the one I posted a photo of in the 'Wildlife in My Backyard' gallery.  We can't see the nest from here, but from the number of trips the parents are making with mince from here, I think they have three chicks.  She usually brings the youngsters down to meet us a couple of days after they fledge.

Smiles, Jan.

• Adelaide 3.55 pm. I'm late today and I guess I've missed the night shift. Lovely spring day here, blackbirds are singing merrily as they busily collect bits from the back garden for nesting. A New Holland honeyeater was dashing around chasing insects (too fast for my camera finger).

Annette, I would like to continue chatting - but perhaps not on a daily basis. I have learnt so much from the bloggers. Not just osprey sites but other wildlife. Oh the River Swale pics have me reaching for my passport (if only) as it was so beautiful. Annette I hope in some form or other that bloggers can carry on chatting and instructing. And thank you very much for initiating the daily pages.

• Goodmorning to those that are up ! I won't be around all that much today -  need to be productive in other ways, :) but, Carol I do  want to thank you for those links to Swaledale. Stunning photographs and it makes me so happy that Mallachie has found it.

In many places the river looks so shallow - there would be fish though, may I assume? Has anyone heard of humans fishing on the river? It looks to me like Mallachie got out 'in the nick of time', weather wise. If White TF is still around the nest site she must be very cold. At least she does have good fishing.

Thank you Annette, it's nice to have a chat page. Off to Tiger's page now.

• Unknown said:

Goodmorning to those that are up ! I won't be around all that much today -  need to be productive in other ways, :) but, Carol I do  want to thank you for those links to Swaledale. Stunning photographs and it makes me so happy that Mallachie has found it.

In many places the river looks so shallow - there would be fish though, may I assume? Has anyone heard of humans fishing on the river? It looks to me like Mallachie got out 'in the nick of time', weather wise. If White TF is still around the nest site she must be very cold. At least she does have good fishing.

Thank you Annette, it's nice to have a chat page. Off to Tiger's page now.

Lots of Brown trout, Bullhead and Roach and is a good coarse fishing river with some fly fishing for Trout.

There was a regeneration project but some of the information is now out of date

http://www.riverswale.org.uk/index.htm

The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein

• Outstanding Carol! Better than I'd hoped . I enjoyed the browse around the river link you provided. I expect Mallachie roosted next to her breakfast spot - fished early (and hopefully successfully - it the brown trout were not too deep Mallachie should have found it easy and so it would have encouraged her) and is now on her way again. So looking forward to picking up the new satellite data this evening.

• Think this is a good idea Annette, and as you say we can track Rothes and Mallachie and make appropriate comments there.  It will still be good to have contact with so many dedicated osprey followers.  I am suffering from withdrawal symptoms already especially as I missed a lot of the action while I was on holiday and didn't get to see Mallachie before she decided to depart.

Margobird

• Hi

Someone has posted this thread elsewhere on the Forum, containing excellent photos of an Osprey being harassed by a crow at Vane Farm reserve.

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/forums/t/4483.aspx

Not the right time or place to be any of the LG Ospreys though - it was Sunday 30th Aug at 9.00.  

• Annette thank you for the link to the whale count I will be able to keep track of what is happening and also during my withdrawall period have something to get interested in making next March seem to come quicker.

george g

• Morning all. On the Diary page, Richard says the camera will switch to the squirrels next week.

Nice to see some familiar faces.

George: The Gray Whale Count has a link to Journey North, a nationwide school program where kiddies to follow the migration. And trust me, next March will come quick enough!  It's the end of summer/beginning of spring, depending on you are, and I just got the Chicago Museum of Art's Christmas catalog for heaven's sake!  Aaack.

Off to help granddaughter move; back this evening.  :-)

• Super idea,

I was just looking at mallachies route and if she keeps going in a straight line, she will pass over Sheffield, so i'm going to keep an eye open for her,

We've got a lovely reservoir near us, thats closed at the moment so theres no fisherman, and its teaming with fish, you would have a lovely time there, I will let you know if i spot her,

ps hubby thinks I've gone mad, mind hes thought that ever since, the little family were eggs, and he thought Odin and EJ were some new pets I'd got

Perhaps she shouldn't come today we are having an horrendous storm, my dogs hate it one is barking and the other one is hiding, whilst the third one just doesn't care,

The more you rush, the longer it takes