Weekly Chat, Sunday, April 17, 2011

Evening all: Just off to check recent posts.

• Diana, good luck with the mower. That's still heavy to lug up and down steps. Sounds a good idea , the cordless way. Your dealer sounds just like the one I brought my tractor off. Luckily I have a choice and kicked him to the kerb.

• Gary: Thanks! After I get the new mower assembled, I can keep it in the garage. I brought it indoors temporarily so I'd have a comfy place to read the owner's manual. :-) I'd like to kick my tractor dealer, but I can't say where on this G-rated, family website! LOLOLOL

• ah! Good plan. I can guess where the kick would be.. lol

• Hi Diane, fine thanks, and you? Has been a beautiful day here today and all is well with the world :)

• Well, more news to catch up on.

AQ - like the pics of the young lizard, hope he/she has found a more comfortable home now!

Diane - do hope that lawnmower doesn't cause you much grief and that you can get it assembled reasonably quickly - that grass must be growing.

Lindybird - like the bleakness of those hills - Italy isn't it you went to??

Been running round like scalded chicks today trying to sort out the insurance etc for her car. Insurance co. has now written off the car and uneconomic to repair - its 10 years old! Went to the recovery company to pick up her personal items from the car and to look at it. Quite a sight at the front, bonnet all pushed up and the radiator all broken.  Then went to try and get her a new car and was successful - have paid her deposit so that the loan is kept to a minimum - thanks mum!  Dau is recovering from internal bruising on shoulder and arm - its all coming out now - feeling quite sore but she went for a check up at the docs this morning and nothing appears broken, just bruising.  Thank God that she is alright. Unfortunately as the law goes, because she ended up going into the back of the car in front, technically she is to blame but it looks like the person in front seemed to suddenly stop and she had to slam on her brakes, a temporary tyre on the front because of a flat, and something just didn't gel.  Just an unfortunate accident.

• Alicat - great pics of Bobbie, he is so cute.

TerryM - so pleased that you enjoyed your time at Bassenthwaite doing the voluntary work at the Osprey centre despite having a rotten cold.  Do hope that you are feeling a lot better now.

BTW they said dau can pick up the car on Saturday so that is only a few days without one and her dad ferrying her to work in the meantime.

• For those who don't know: EJ now has 3 eggs.

• Lynette, so sorry about your daughter but glad she is "OK". Sounds nasty though. Hope she like s the new car:)

Thanks Diane, wonderful news

• Evening all: Am gradually working my way through several "to do" lists under different headings. Daren't get on the LG site in the morning or would never get started. Besides, as many have noted, that "server error" message has been showing up a lot lately and it does get frustrating when you only want to pop in.

AQ: What an interesting little critter that is. We have lizards in our garden but they don't puff up like that.

Lindybird: Good grief! That photo of the hills going down to the sea could be a photo of the hills up the road at the end of a long hot summer (though we do have lots of trees on the hills farther inland). Ear is better; suspect it's my usual low-grade virus so guzzling lots of water and not going mad at the gym or getting too tired. Garden Center purchase sounds very sensible! Every time I go to La Sumida I have to drag myself out before I buy yet more rose bushes.

Lynette: Funny how financial windfalls have a way of disappearing on such things as cars, broken appliances, backed up plumbing, etc. Unfortunately, the law is the same here with regard to rear-enders. Still, as you say, she's safe.

Cirrus: Do you win a prize for being the first to alert LG to the "no sound" issue? :-)

Alan: I'm still trying to get my printer and new router to communicate wirelessly; thing is, I read the instructions, try and fail, then go off to do something else and next day, have to read the instructions all over again.... .  Brugmansia bloom is very elegant. Followed that link through several pages but couldn't find the man ironing his shirts on the M1, but just did mine while watching National Geographic program.

Margobird: Our cat, Lightning, still doesn't like flea treatment and protests bitterly while we do it, which reminds me....

Gary: G'daughter is holding her own, getting used to handling a baby. I think she'll be glad when my daughter heads back there in a month or so. Re Tiger's "people magnet" comment (love that), I dog-sat my friend's Afghan some years back and decided walking such a gorgeous creature was a wonderful way to meet people!

Terry: Feel better soon. Love the senior's guide to texting! A real hoot!

Diane: Oh my - you have to assemble the lawn mower first? That's brave; good luck - hope all the bits are included. G'son is healing beautifully - I'm more and more impressed with his girlfriend, who took care of him during the "ugliest" phase and continues to do so now it's not such a fright! Calf count to date is lower than last year, which was lower than previous years. Only another four weeks to go for the season.

OK, off to check cam (and try the LOTL one yet again - sigh); then bed. Have a good Wednesday. Take care all.

• Morning, Everyone.  Still sunny here - its very nice to have the good weather, but I shall have to go around the garden today, watering, as its so dry.

Poor Buzz is still not well, and we have made an appointment at the Vets for tomorrow as we are worried.  He is not eating properly and looks uncomfortable. Unfortunately, we have too much on today to get down there together, so it will have to be tomorrow as we want to have both of us be there to hear what he has to say.

Diane:  Hope the assembly of the mower was managed OK.  That's a lot of mowing to do!  You are right, you can do it a section at a time instead of trying to do the whole thing at once.

My photos were taken in Fuerteventura, Canary Islands.  It is a very volcanic island, and that's why the hills and mountains are so bare.  Its so dramatic, and there is a view around every corner.  Our house is filled with photos we have taken on the Islands, and also some paintings we have bought there.  Here are some more pics, these are in the  'cute' category, as they are of the local "chipmunks "  as everyone calls them, although they are technically Ground Squirrels.  They come up to you to eat right out of your hand if you are lucky: