NEWS FROM OTHER NESTS - 2011

Some interesting news from the Lake District. Apparently there was a second nest last year:
http://www.ospreywatch.co.uk/ospreys.html
  • Val - this is wonderful news - good to have update on a known bird.  And lucky you: sorry if you've already said this, but  is this nest actually on your land?

Alan - I was about to post the Caerlaverock update about it being a new male, but see you beat me to it.  could be some interestoing developments if AW returns - I shall be disappointed if he doesn't, since he was hatched at Wigtown.  I wonder who the new male will turn out to be - hope they get a good look at his ring tomorrow!

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• Excellent news Val! Have you told Richard Thaxton, as I'm sure he would be interested.  

By a roundabout route (Googling "osprey baldrick") I found this LG blog from 2007 which with hindsight seems very interesting. It's late May 2007; after evicting OVS as usual, Henry has persuaded EJ to lay a second clutch of eggs which she is brooding. The blog goes on:

"The only disturbance our pair have had recently has been an intruding osprey and only yesterday this bird was allowed to land on the camera tree, a few yards from the nest. The odd things about it was that neither EJ, nor Henry, seemed to regard this bird as a threat as she made no attempt to alarm call but instead remained contented on her eggs.

Only when the 'stranger' actually tried to land on the nest did EJ begin to mantle her wings in a semi-threatening manner, a short alarm call seemed enough to see this bird off. Parent birds will tolerate their offspring's presence for a while but then nature kicks in and the parents force the young bird to find its own patch.

Had we just seen a returning chick from 2004? Unfortunately we couldn't see a leg ring, not even a colour, but rest assured if this happens again we will be straining every sinew to get an angle on this bird's leg – maybe Baldrick has returned!!!!! "

• Original goldfinch The nest is in forest next to my house- I can see it from my bedroom window. I have Schedule 1 licences for monitoring & research for 8 species here & also for photography.

One Life - Live It!!

• Sue C Yes I have read this too. The most amazing diary was found by Tiger! It is the 2004 Loch Garten diary & it has so much brilliant history.

Tiger Please could you add the link you sent to me for 2004 diary. I have tried to add it but cannot for some reason

Baldrick brought a trout to XL at the nest this evening. She then flew to branch above me to eat. So he appears to have made the grade & was even shuffling moss & sticks around the nest.

More soon.

Thanks for all your lovely comments! So pleased to be able to continue a little bit of history!

Val x

One Life - Live It!!

•  

One Life - Live It!!

• That is wonderful news, Val!

• It is indeed wonderful news Valmc, and such a privilege for you to be able to witness it first hand!  Well done.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

• Absolutely brilliant stuff, Valmc! Thank you so much for sharing your gorgeous photos and news. I got all misty eyed when reading LOL

• great news about baldrick valmc i have left you a message on your page

• I am afraid Baldrick has been ousted! :(