NEWS FROM OTHER NESTS - 2011

Some interesting news from the Lake District. Apparently there was a second nest last year:
http://www.ospreywatch.co.uk/ospreys.html
  • Valmc said:

What a day & night!! I managed to get a positive ID for ring. It is yellow/black 28 left leg. Records from RSPB & Roys book- page 27 confirm that this is a male ringed at Loch Garten in 2004 & is chick of EJ & Henry known as Baldrick. Tiger has sent me a diary record of the early months of his life & I am totally overwhelmed that he has chosen to come to me!!

XL accepted a trout from him on the nest last night & flew to the tree above me to eat. Another fact is that EJ hatched at a nest in Bridge of Cally in 1997 so it is even more of a priviledge to have her son return!

My confusion was with his immense size & very dark chest which initially made me think he was female.

Anyway I will update more soon

Val

Val it is simply fantastic to know that a son of Henry and EJ is very much alive and well and has come back into our lives. I look forward to further news as and when :)

• I have sent Roy Dennis the info & a picture of Baldrick now! I hope he is pleased with this strapping lad!!

There is video of Baldrick bringing fish to XL on the nest last night so I will try to post that also tonight! As the nest is 2/3 up tree he had to make 3 attempts to land & kept going to branch above nest then looking down but he made it & XL flew to her favourite spot above me to eat. Will post more pics tonight .

Must go now before I get a dose of P45ITIS!

One Life - Live It!!

• Valmc: The buzz you must be experiencing, it is so exciting and great news that one of EJ's youngsters is now a 'celebrity', after these years in the 'unknown', who knows where. Maybe he should be honoured, in some way as a tribute to him! 'Baldrick of Loch Garten', or something like that.

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• Valmc said:

What a day & night!! I managed to get a positive ID for ring. It is yellow/black 28 left leg. Records from RSPB & Roys book- page 27 confirm that this is a male ringed at Loch Garten in 2004 & is chick of EJ & Henry known as Baldrick. Tiger has sent me a diary record of the early months of his life & I am totally overwhelmed that he has chosen to come to me!!

XL accepted a trout from him on the nest last night & flew to the tree above me to eat. Another fact is that EJ hatched at a nest in Bridge of Cally in 1997 so it is even more of a priviledge to have her son return!

My confusion was with his immense size & very dark chest which initially made me think he was female.

Anyway I will update more soon

Val

Valmc:  That is absolutely fantastic news!  I honestly couldn't stop smiling when I read it, and to be honest I'm still grinning now.  Brilliant! :-)

Paul.

Warning!  This post contains atrocious spelling, and terrible grammar.  Approach with extreme edginess.

• Great news Valmc. Just re read the relevant page in Roys book and amazing that such a bullied and runty chick should survive and become such a fine adult osprey.

• OG : Thanks for following up on the Wigtown situation. I suppose we will just have to check both sites for new information.

• Wow, that's just amazing, Val. To think that you've got a son of EJ & Henry at your nest must make it even more special. Really interesting that he has chosen to return to his mother's birthplace. Please keep us up to date with all the developments! :-))

• Valmc said:

I have sent Roy Dennis the info & a picture of Baldrick now! I hope he is pleased with this strapping lad!!

There is video of Baldrick bringing fish to XL on the nest last night so I will try to post that also tonight! As the nest is 2/3 up tree he had to make 3 attempts to land & kept going to branch above nest then looking down but he made it & XL flew to her favourite spot above me to eat. Will post more pics tonight .

Must go now before I get a dose of P45ITIS!

I am sure Roy will be as over the moon as we are. Can hardly wait for more pics AND a video! WOW! Better and better :)

Once again, thanks so much Val