NEWS FROM OTHER NESTS - 2011

Some interesting news from the Lake District. Apparently there was a second nest last year:
http://www.ospreywatch.co.uk/ospreys.html
  • Male Osprey has joined female at Caerlaverock this morning and mating has taken place.  Not yet known whether it is AW (who himself was a local Wigtown fledgling).

They still hope to solve technical issues and have refreshing pictures on WWT website once the season develops.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• original goldfinch thanks for the news from Caerlaverock.  Good to know that mating has started.

Margobird

• Thanks OG. Just waiting for Kielder and Tweed Valley now and of course Dyfi.

• Alan - I emailed Liz Tindal at Wigtown and got a very quick reply - thought you might like to see it:

Sorry **** there has been a problem with the ‘new’ site managed by last year’s seasonals.  I have not got the information on who has signed up to this so I am still working on the old system which you would not be on, I will add you to this.  We may be resurrecting the new system in the near future with new summer staff and you will get updates through this, however being on both is probably your best bet.  Let me know if you wish to be removed from my list at any time.

Both H/D and EP are back and we are expecting eggs anytime from now on, probably over the weekend.  Glad that you are interested enough in the ospreys to persevere and hope that we all have a good osprey season.

Ospreys Rule OK, but Goldfinches come a close second!

• original goldfinch top marks to them for responding so quickly.  As least they are appreciative of people who are so interested in ospreys.

Margobird

• What a day & night!! I managed to get a positive ID for ring. It is yellow/black 28 left leg. Records from RSPB & Roys book- page 27 confirm that this is a male ringed at Loch Garten in 2004 & is chick of EJ & Henry known as Baldrick. Tiger has sent me a diary record of the early months of his life & I am totally overwhelmed that he has chosen to come to me!!

XL accepted a trout from him on the nest last night & flew to the tree above me to eat. Another fact is that EJ hatched at a nest in Bridge of Cally in 1997 so it is even more of a priviledge to have her son return!

My confusion was with his immense size & very dark chest which initially made me think he was female.

Anyway I will update more soon

Val

One Life - Live It!!

• Valmc thanks for all your hard work you must be thriled to bits.

Margobird

• Congratulations Val, saw the twitter feed earlier & hoped you'd confirm the news here!!

• Valmc said:

What a day & night!! I managed to get a positive ID for ring. It is yellow/black 28 left leg. Records from RSPB & Roys book- page 27 confirm that this is a male ringed at Loch Garten in 2004 & is chick of EJ & Henry known as Baldrick. Tiger has sent me a diary record of the early months of his life & I am totally overwhelmed that he has chosen to come to me!!

XL accepted a trout from him on the nest last night & flew to the tree above me to eat. Another fact is that EJ hatched at a nest in Bridge of Cally in 1997 so it is even more of a priviledge to have her son return!

My confusion was with his immense size & very dark chest which initially made me think he was female.

Anyway I will update more soon

Val

This is just the most incredible news Val. To think that Baldrick is alive and well shows that there may be many other ospreys hiding out there somewhere.

He really is such a handsome fellow. He always reminded me of Errol the number 4 chick at Tweed Valley back in 2005. Indeed I have been known to mix the two up. I wonder if Errol is out there somewhere too?

Best of all this mean that Henry did not die without living descendants!

This is certainly one of the most exciting osprey developments I can remember.

This is yet another example of a weakly male becoming a fine strapping adult. Remember how 5R (04) at Rutland was a weakling when he left on migration in 2004.  Now he is a very big osprey.