• I hope all the LoTL bloggers will complete the survey and register their disappoinment re banning comments

The moving finger writes..........and having writ, moves on

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a232/05jimbob/

• Several thoughts:

Whatever the outcome of the approaches to SWT may be, I don't see us getting any special dispensation for this forum. The reason? The RSPB forum is open to public view and if screenshots are posted here, anyone can then browse and download them, and potentially post them elsewhere, regardless of whether they are even registered with the RSPB community.  

jsb said:

we would need to have the RSPB to come to an agreement with SWT about the licence, allowing us to capture video shots. In my opinion RSPB would then need to protect images of LotL posted here...etc

As the RSPB is also a charity, I cannot see why they would be willing to devote any resources to dealing with this issue – all the more so, as it concerns what might be termed a "rival" charity/site/webcam. One danger of involving moderators in a situation, is that you never quite know what outcome you’re going to get – but you still have to abide by it!

If Lynette or jsb have specifically mentioned the RSPB site and the Loch Garten forum to SWT, then if they are willing to consider the request at all, we have to realise that they will read this thread. If they then refuse permission for us to post screenshots, they are also likely to check whether we are complying.   

• Another thought. Didn't Toby Green do his bike ride last year? Wondering why the appeal is still showing on the webcam page.

• jsb - just seen your post. I too have contacted LOtL to see if we can have permission to post pics on our LG site - thread - Loch of the Lowes - hopefully they will come back to me with a positive answer and just maybe as well with your comment on the survey.

Will go ahead and do it.

• I watch with interest to see how things develop at LOTL.  There is a chance I will pay the reserve a visit at the beginning of April and find out for myself what the future direction for SWT re LOTL really is.  We must remember that the SWT is a charitable trust which is different from being a registered charity like RSPB. Trustees have onerous responsibilities to ensure that they comply within the purposes/obligations/objectives of the trust.  We will still be able to watch the ospreys during their season in Scotland which continues to be an immense privilege and for which I am grateful

• Evening all: Just stumbled across this thread for LOTL. Brilliant!  Thanks Alan for starting it.  Interesting to hear that Lady has typically returned before the LG crew.  Will be interested to hear SWT's position on copyright of images, since this was a hot topic when I was in print publishing  because writers, photographers, artists, and various organizations, etc., were having more and more of a problem retaining the rights to and/or control of their copyrighted material. The internet really accelerated the debate, which apparently continues!  Often images on the net will have the name of the person/entity digitally  embedded in them  (I think Big Rig Steve does that in some of his "galleries.") 

Anyway, way past my bedtime. Take care all!

• Unknown said:

I watch with interest to see how things develop at LOTL.  There is a chance I will pay the reserve a visit at the beginning of April and find out for myself what the future direction for SWT re LOTL really is.  We must remember that the SWT is a charitable trust which is different from being a registered charity like RSPB. Trustees have onerous responsibilities to ensure that they comply within the purposes/obligations/objectives of the trust.  We will still be able to watch the ospreys during their season in Scotland which continues to be an immense privilege and for which I am grateful

Good morning

A group of us from all over the UK and also the USA are visiting the Loch in May too. Like you Emma I am also grateful for this privilege

paula "~"

• ALICAT has just posted this on weekly chat. The member concession that is mentioned, on downloads would meet my needs.

"Hi just thought i would post this reply to an E-Mail i sent to swt about wether we post screen shots on other sites and take the screen shots in the first place

Unfortunately due to issues we experienced last year with copyright issues, we will not be permitting the print. Reproduction, downloading or distribution of our images and web cam footage this year.  This is why we have implemented the full copyright statement on our blogs, website and web cams.

In the future, we aim to produce a 'members area' where approved images and footage can be downloaded and used for personal use, or for use on other websites/print etc with prior approval from myself."

ChloeB & Tiger's Osprey Data Site

Sat track schedule Spring 2014

LG 7 days; RW & SWT nil; LDOP varies

• Well, at least we have the official answer from SWT. With regard to the RSPB forum and this LOTL thread then, it would seem that the only things which are permissible are:

• Linking to the SWT official blogs & the webcam
    • Discussing events at LOTL, in our own words.
    • Forum members visiting LOTL and posting their own photos
    • Linking to third party blogs e.g. Tigerfast which feature LOTL - but not copying the photos from them (though this would be a breach of the blogger's copyright, not SWT's).   
  • ChloeB said:

Another thought. Didn't Toby Green do his bike ride last year? Wondering why the appeal is still showing on the webcam page.

ChloeB  you are correct it was last year that Toby Green did his bike ride.

Margobird