Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 October 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK! Good to see you all! Sorry my internet was out during Hurricane Helene and I couldn't start the thread.

The devastation and rising death toll in the southeastern states is so sad, especially in the mountains where catastrophic flooding and hurricane winds destroyed roads and decimated forests, leaving people trapped without access to power, phone, internet, and basic necessities.

Folks in my community have been holding events to gather food, water, and supplies for the hurricane victims. The goods are sent by plane or truck and then loaded onto helicopters, ATVs, or mules to be taken up into the mountains. Thousands of power company trucks and lineworkers have been deployed to do the very dangerous work of restoring power in such high, rugged terrain.

My area didn't have much flooding, but we had the remnant high winds, which downed trees. Some folks lost their homes. My neighbor came over to check on me, and he said we escaped damage because our small town is on a hill on one side of us and a tall ridge is on the other side. I don't have insurance that would have covered this event. I feel blessed to be okay.

Hugs and love to everyone!

• Nice to hear from you, Cirrus. I hope you're keeping well. 

Heather: {HUGS}  -- take it easy.... I thought I had mentioned your middle daughter who was waiting for a test result but I can't see where I wrote it now, so I probably only thought about it!  Hope she gets good news soon.....

• Nice to hear from you, Cirrus. I hope you're keeping well. 

Heather: {HUGS}  -- take it easy.... I thought I had mentioned your middle daughter who was waiting for a test result but I can't see where I wrote it now, so I probably only thought about it!  Hope she gets good news soon.....

• RUSTY – sympathy over the passing of your ancient toaster.  I have Tupperware items from when my second daughter was born – so they are of a similar age and still in use. Our first freezer gave us over 30 years – and convinced me that a chest freezer is the only one to have.  First consideration every time we moved – is there a kitchen or utility room with space for the chest freezer!

DIBNLIB – Weight of a powered wheelchair would not be a problem as we have a ramp conversion in the WAV.  I know families are now buying air fryers for their student children to take to uni!  We too have red squirrels locally, but not in the town – it is guaranteed to see them at Eskrigg Reserve in Lockerbie.  Unfortunately, being so near Englandshire we also see greys, so there are plenty of people watching out for the protection of the reds.

LINDA – it was good to read that your OH is having some better days.  We are still enjoying fresh tomatoes, but mostly small ones now, and they seem to shrivel quickly once picked so we are cooking about half of them down to freeze.  We are also still picking wonderful runner beans – got some of them in the freezer too.  Loved the book picture referring to the company and a weapon!

DIANE – thanks for the new week – sounds like normal life is resumed for most people over your way – glad you and your home stayed safe.

AQ – glad you got your new phone – and enjoyed a lunch with Dau and Trio.  Sorry the washing day and visit were so muddled for you.  That extra wait for OH mealtime must have seemed like hours – for both of you.

Oh, LINDA!  Wonderful use for a staircase!

Been a normal Sunday – and normal dampish weather.  Went to chuch this morning, and been at computer most of the afternoon – ordering, communicating etc.

Well, got to go to the kitchen now to prep the runner beans for dinner – OH is convinced he can’t do them!