Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 October 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK! Good to see you all! Sorry my internet was out during Hurricane Helene and I couldn't start the thread.

The devastation and rising death toll in the southeastern states is so sad, especially in the mountains where catastrophic flooding and hurricane winds destroyed roads and decimated forests, leaving people trapped without access to power, phone, internet, and basic necessities.

Folks in my community have been holding events to gather food, water, and supplies for the hurricane victims. The goods are sent by plane or truck and then loaded onto helicopters, ATVs, or mules to be taken up into the mountains. Thousands of power company trucks and lineworkers have been deployed to do the very dangerous work of restoring power in such high, rugged terrain.

My area didn't have much flooding, but we had the remnant high winds, which downed trees. Some folks lost their homes. My neighbor came over to check on me, and he said we escaped damage because our small town is on a hill on one side of us and a tall ridge is on the other side. I don't have insurance that would have covered this event. I feel blessed to be okay.

Hugs and love to everyone!