Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 6 October 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK! Good to see you all! Sorry my internet was out during Hurricane Helene and I couldn't start the thread.

The devastation and rising death toll in the southeastern states is so sad, especially in the mountains where catastrophic flooding and hurricane winds destroyed roads and decimated forests, leaving people trapped without access to power, phone, internet, and basic necessities.

Folks in my community have been holding events to gather food, water, and supplies for the hurricane victims. The goods are sent by plane or truck and then loaded onto helicopters, ATVs, or mules to be taken up into the mountains. Thousands of power company trucks and lineworkers have been deployed to do the very dangerous work of restoring power in such high, rugged terrain.

My area didn't have much flooding, but we had the remnant high winds, which downed trees. Some folks lost their homes. My neighbor came over to check on me, and he said we escaped damage because our small town is on a hill on one side of us and a tall ridge is on the other side. I don't have insurance that would have covered this event. I feel blessed to be okay.

Hugs and love to everyone!

• I'm feeling guilty about my lack of replies etc - sorry.

OG - I don't know if anyone here has spoken about an air fryer. I don't have one but my son does and he has recommended that I get one. From what I understand, it is a sort of mini fan oven - the name 'fryer' is a bit misleading. I don't feel the need to add to my collection of gadgets and I hate cluttered  work surfaces. . Regarding your wheelchair - I always wondered why you didn't whizz around the house in one !

AQ - your instincts are probably right. I hate it when a' one size fits all 'approach is used in these circumstances. Many years ago a thing called Reality Orientation came into use. Every time a patient made a statement such as ' when is my mother coming' - we were supposed to correct them ie ' No, your mother died a long time ago'. I together with many of my colleagues  was  very sceptical about the value of this approach. For example - my stepdad died - Mum was hospitalised with vascular dementia. The ward staff said that if I didn't tell her, then they would as it was important etc etc. The following day when I went to see her she burst into tears,and said ' somebody's mother has died'. She was terribly distressed. 

I'd better post this before it disappears - I'm using a new tablet and that is another story.....

• Dreadful things happening all over the world - but the hurricane news is front and centre at the moment - in my mind, anyway. 

Youngest daughter and her OH have just left - they brought me food shopping from M and S. 

• Heather:  No need to feel guilty!  We all respond when we can.   Re your Mum, that sounds an awfully cruel way to deal with patients  (but what do I know?)
    We are watching the approaching hurricane with some degree of horror; those poor people.....

• Yes, there is much on the news about the hurricane. I cannot imagine its strength and I hope everyone stays safe. How horrendous to think that your house might get destroyed. 
    Heaher - Annette is quite right. We reply when we can. Glad you got your nice M&S shopping brought to you. My friend and I bought a sandwich in the Inverness branch when we were on our holiday last year! I am intrigued with your allusion to a new tablet. It worked anyway! We got your posts.

I have been down to the golf club today because it is the annual ladies “Wear it Pink” competition when we raise money for breast cancer. It may come as a shock but I have actually resigned my playing membership this year and become a social member. I hardly played last year because of my holidays and my other activities. Also, I hate playing in the rain and can’t play in the heat!! Basically, I am just going to pay and play with friends when the right moment comes. I don’t mind about my handicap now. It was good to see everyone and to catch up on the news. I bought raffle tickets and hope to hear I have won a prize!!!! There were several bottles of rose wine on the prize table (pink of course) I will let you know if I hear anything!!!! 

• I shed some tears into my coffee this morning. 

My then-husband and I spent a lot of time in Venice/Venice Beach on the Gulf Coast of Florida when I was young. We had an old boat that we pulled down there often. He loved to fish, and I loved to birdwatch. Venice was a charming, quaint, supremely beautiful town then.

Today, it looks like Venice will take a direct hit from Milton. They had already sustained heavy damage from Helene. I checked their web page. They closed the bridge, shut off the town water, and instructed everyone to leave NOW.

My thoughts are with the people of the Gulf Coast and all the brave lineworkers and rescue crews who will risk their lives to help.

• Hi all, just did a long write up and pressed the wrong key.  Won't bore you again.

Thinkiing of those who are going to be caught up in Hurricane Milton.   Diane, pleased to learn that you escaped the worst of Hurricane Helene.

Hand a lovely Sunday lunch with Son and d-i-l last week in their new home.

Covid and RSV jabs done, don't do the flue one.

Lindybird, so pleased to learn that your OH is now free of cancer . At least the preventative treatment should be reassuring .   Relax, chill, and look forward to your holiday in the sunshine.

To all, keep safe and well and if anyone is suffering or have problems do hope that they resolve soon.

Take care all.

• DIBNLIB – I thought you would have gone to Pitlochry for your birthday – glad you enjoyed your stay again.  Is that now your usual hotel of choice?

HEATHER – when I acquired the current wheelchair, we thought it might not be for permanent use, so it is a pushed chair – not even one with patient push wheels as OH thought my arms were too weak for that type.  Still undecided about replacing it, but there isn’t much support in the back, so I do get a lot of backache when we go out for a while – also I worry about him having to manoeuvre me.  Can’t whizz in this house – doorways are not very wide, and some corners are difficult to steer round.  About not sharing news when people are in hospital – I remember a very elderly lady opposite me in the local hospital when I had my broken femur – she was crying out “to her Mam” every night – very distressing.

RUSTY – only you know when it is the right time to become a less active player, but you do seem to have a full social life anyway.

DIANE – do you still have acquaintances in Venice Beach are?  I hope they are safe.

LYNETTE – has your son moved nearer or further away?  Our elder Dau phoned yesterday, and I hoped she was going to suggest she might come to see us soon, buy nothing doing.  Other one is calling in for her annual one day visit at the end of this month.

Just had a very busy day, and two more to follow!

• Not had time to come on - lots to do today - our stove was mended this morning which was a relief as often these days they say"Oh, its too old & we don't have the parts". 

We do use the stove less now, as Heather it was I who mentioned having an air fryer. I promised to tell OG how we were getting along with it. A report to follow tomorrow if I have time! 

Thinking of the people caught up in the bad weather in the USA - latest news was that its causing typhoons as the wind preceding it hits land.