Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 1 September 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK and HAPPY NEW MONTH and HAPPY NEW MOON!

The new moon (the dark moon) is Monday in the UK/US. It's also Labor Day in the US. That's the unofficial first day of autumn here.

I have no wildlife stories or personal news to impart. I spent the past week sitting on my bed and perspiring. We broke our daily records for high heat and humidity, and I accomplished nothing except watching the corn sweat.

Yes, corn "sweats". When the temps and humidity are this high, the corn takes in and releases water to keep itself cool. A single stalk of corn can release over 4 cups of water per day. An acre of corn can release 4,000 gallons of water in a day. My area has massive corn farms. They all had dense fog full of moisture hanging over the fields. The scene looked apocalyptic.

The poor wildlife were miserable.

I am making a To-Do list for next week, because we are supposed to cool down, and I'll be able to move and breathe. :-)

Everyone have a good week. Hugs and love to you all.

• Diane:  Thank you - and how interesting to read that corn sweats.  I wonder how many other crops react that way.   Our coolerr-than-normal weather is supposed to give way to above average temps next week..   

Rusty: England is such a  pretty country.  The vista's here are on such a huge scale, but beautiful and so impressive.

Have a good Sunday everyone.

• Diane - That's really interesting.  I had no idea that corn 'sweats'.  I'm so glad every day is a school day - I so enjoy learning new things like that.  You never know when that sort of information can be dropped into a conversation!