Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 11 August 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

The weird summer of storms and torrential rain has produced a large population of super-powered mosquitoes here. They bite fiercely and produce huge welts plus extreme itching and aching at the site. I've never seen them like this. I have a 2-inch welt on on my forehead right now. Not very attractive!

I apologize for not making replies lately. I had to deal with some critical stuff and haven't been able to concentrate on all the folks here. I have now read your posts.

Everybody have the best week possible. Love and hugs to all.

• Thought I should bump us up. 
    AQ - I will survive!! I did the supermarket shop this morning!!! I have gardening planned for this afternoon. 
    Hope everyone is OK. Lindy and her OH should be home. Others are planning for visitors too. 

• I'm OK, Rusty  -- just busy.  We got home alright on Wednesday and yesterday vanished in a blur of laundry, putting things away, and catching up. 

Today is drier - my laundry hung limp!y on the line yesterday as we  had several showers & I just left it!! More out there now in the sun, then just the dreaded ironing to do. My OH picked blackberries on his walk this morning so then pulled some apples from our tree to stew with them. Now he's looking at how ripe the plums are.

We had a message that Awful Cousin from Canada has had heart trouble and is awaiting treatment.  Might mean an operation. But mainly, it means she won't/can't come here this September!! Now I wouldn't wish bad health on anyone, but....     We will raise a glass to her tonight!! 

• I was panicking a little there, LINDY, when I read the words ' awful cousin' !

I love Shrewsbury, RUSTY - my son has a shop on Wyle Cop. I hope that I will get back there sometime.

Not feeling too good since visit to the dentist on Wednesday. Well, I'm feeling OK but my operated leg isn't. I twisted awkwardly when getting up from the dentist's chair. Silly me. It's over seven months since the fracture was mended and it's been fine, but....I was probably too happy and didn't pay attention. Happy because I hadn't been seen since before Covid and everything was OK, no treatment required. Just a hygienist visit.

Other than that, things are trundling along. I've had visits from all three daughters this week and am not used to talking so much! Middle daughter had a good phrase - ' Mum, your social batteries are depleted!'. 

Regards to everyone. 

• Gosh Heather. We weren’t far from Wyle Cop. We had lunch at the Orchard cafe by the Catholic cathedral. So sorry you hurt your leg. I do hope the discomfort wears off and that you haven’t done any damage. Congratulations on your good dental report. 

• Lindy - My fruit consumption seems to be running parallel with yours!  Yesterday I picked some wonderful blackberries and plums.  Also some apples, but they really need another week or so.  Had stewed blackberry and apple and custard last night - delicious!  Must go and see if there are any more tomorrow.  I wish Awful Cousin good health - but just not quite good enough to take a flight!

Rusty - I do enjoy reading about your outings, your meals out and your garden exploits.  Today I was told about a pair of pots that had been abandoned - someone knew I was looking for some.  So I collected my trowel and went down to our wonderful compost area.  Picked up the tubs, filled them with compost (which I am told is very good - and free!) and they are now sitting outside the door waiting for me to go and buy something to put in them.  Sounds like a job for Monday.

Heather - So sorry your leg is still causing problems.  I did have to smile at your daughter's phrase - I think my social batteries are frequently depleted!

Hope everyone is enjoying the weather.  Looks as though we might have a couple of decent days.  Hooray!

AQ - Hope you and your OH are getting used to your new living styles.  Must be a difficult adjustment for both of you.

• What a muddled week!  Included short-notice appointments, cancellations, bad weather, changes to intentions and arrangements etc etc.  One cancellation was Daughter#2 who is not coming on her trip south this weekend - car trouble.  In a  way it is best that she isn't coming till the "dust has settled" on this week, but we are sorry not to be seeing them - they are re-arranging for a different trip in October.  I phoned to change Sat lunch restaurant booking for tomorrow, but decided to alter it to the three of us eating out rather than cancelling - after all, we do need to have a meal, don't we?

Sorry to see various difficulties for my friends on here.  I think it's best if I just draw a line on this week, take a rest tomorrow, and come back Sunday!