MANTON BAY – August 2024 to End of February 2025

Continued from Manton Bay – June/July 2024.

The history of the Manton Bay nest and stats can be found here .

2024 Season Summary:  Maya, equalling her own record, was the first osprey to return back arriving on 12 March @ 15:58 and her partner, Blue 33(11) arrived on the 13 March @ 15:25.  The pair quickly re-established their bond and Maya laid three eggs, the first on 30 March @ 13:58, the second on 02 April @ 13:15 and a third on 05 April @ 11:06.  At 10:50 on 5 May Maya removed one egg from the nest and the pair continued to incubate the two eggs of which only one was viable (most likely the third egg) and hatched at 23:23 on 10 May.  On 15 May at 14:21 a live fish was delivered to the nest displacing the chick into the sticks at the side of the nest. Unable to get free, Rutland Officials organised a rescue operation. They accessed the nest and placed the chick back in the middle of the nest who thankfully was none the worse for its ordeal.  A few weeks later the unviable egg eventually broke and was removed by Maya. The chick continued to thrive under the care and protection of its parents and on 19 June 2024 it was sexed, vitals noted and fitted with the blue darvic "IR0". The ringing of Blue 1R0(24) can be viewed here.  A couple of weeks later on 3 July 2024 at 08:07  Blue 1R0 fledged.

Blue 33 will continue to provide for his family and Blue 1R0 will explore his surroundings, building his strength and confidence for the long journey ahead when in a few weeks time he’ll take off on his first migration.  Maya and Blue 33, their job done, will soon follow. 

Edit: End of Season Update:

28 Aug 09:54: Last sighting of the family together this season

29 Aug 09:42: Blue 1R0(24) last seen on the nest

30 Aug 06:40: Maya last seen on the nest

02 Sep 13:32: 33 last seen on nest/tree

We wish them a safe journey and safe return.

• OK Scylla, the wagtails are Grey Wagtails (despite the under belly yellow) and are  bigger than the littler pied.

The Gulls are Black Headed Gulls and that small black 'dot' on their head will grow bigger and bigger come spring time till it covers all their precious heads.

I'm grateful for both videos, enjoyed them

Oops !  yes they are Pied Wagtails on the nest . Where did you see the Grey Wagtail then !  I didn't see it . Oh well, short nature lesson

• And we wish you health and a great rest of the year Karen. Thank you so very much for your tremendous work on this thread.

Karen said:

Edit: End of Season Update:

28 Aug 09:54: Last sighting of the family together this season

29 Aug 09:42: Blue 1R0(24) last seen on the nest

30 Aug 06:40: Maya last seen on the nest

02 Sep 13:32: 33 last seen on nest/tree

It may be just me, or my system, but I can't get the links to work - they're all sending me back to the top of the page.

• Working ok for me on tablet Scylla, get taken back to OP for August 2024 to February 2025 thread where all these details have been added

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• SCYLLA - the links aren't working !!  Something I need to take over to Tech thread.

I removed the links from my final post bottom of the previous page for this reason however left them on the OP (which you have accessed/coping) hoping I could get a fix before having to remove them too and redo them.   

Hopefully a fix forthcoming!!!

Cirrus said:
    Where did you see the Grey Wagtail then !  I didn't see it

I've always assumed Pied on this nest, as in the past they've been clearly black & white.  I don't recall mentioning Grey - but in the BTO video they said that all Wagtails can have some yellow at times.  I gave up.

04 September

My last post of the season - the last night spent with our first Cormorant at the end of the season - it's quite cute Heart eyes

May I echo thanks to KAREN for her skill and dedication covering this precious family Sparkling heart