MANTON BAY – August 2024 to End of February 2025

Continued from Manton Bay – June/July 2024.

The history of the Manton Bay nest and stats can be found here .

2024 Season Summary:  Maya, equalling her own record, was the first osprey to return back arriving on 12 March @ 15:58 and her partner, Blue 33(11) arrived on the 13 March @ 15:25.  The pair quickly re-established their bond and Maya laid three eggs, the first on 30 March @ 13:58, the second on 02 April @ 13:15 and a third on 05 April @ 11:06.  At 10:50 on 5 May Maya removed one egg from the nest and the pair continued to incubate the two eggs of which only one was viable (most likely the third egg) and hatched at 23:23 on 10 May.  On 15 May at 14:21 a live fish was delivered to the nest displacing the chick into the sticks at the side of the nest. Unable to get free, Rutland Officials organised a rescue operation. They accessed the nest and placed the chick back in the middle of the nest who thankfully was none the worse for its ordeal.  A few weeks later the unviable egg eventually broke and was removed by Maya. The chick continued to thrive under the care and protection of its parents and on 19 June 2024 it was sexed, vitals noted and fitted with the blue darvic "IR0". The ringing of Blue IR0(24) can be viewed here.  A couple of weeks later on 3 July 2024 at 08:07  Blue IR0 fledged.

Blue 33 will continue to provide for his family and Blue IR0 will explore his surroundings, building his strength and confidence for the long journey ahead when in a few weeks time he’ll take off on his first migration.  Maya and Blue 33, their job done, will soon follow. 

And when their time comes to leave us, we wish them a safe journey and return.

• Wow, what a fantastic page opener Karen, so much information and brilliant photos of the timeline. Love how you’ve laid it out. Two hearts Well done. HuggingClap

• Morning ALL and thank you Glider.  Also thank you Glider for all your contributions when I was off.  Really appreciated all the descriptions and lovely captures capturing IR0's early days.

Meantime, quick check on the nest:

04:54  Maya pottering about

05:18  33 appears followed by IR0

05:23  IR0 remains edge of the nest as the sun rises and soon flies off

06:48  Maya and IR0 waiting on breakfish

09:09  Maya has flown but IR0 remains - looks so peaceful 

07:49  After being away for a bit, IR0's is back and fish calling

© Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

Hopefully 33 will arrive soon with a fish

• Morning all.

@Karen , as Glider says  " FANTASTIC" only , your good self can provide such wonderful lasting records,THANK YOU so much.

I am sure Gliders records would have certainly helped as you said during your unfortunate health absence.Thank you Glider.

• Morning SunnyKate and thank you.  Yes, Glider did a great job along with updating her own records and as I've already said what a marvellous job you did keeping the thread going and I was so grateful to you and all who posted.   But please, keep posting :-)

Did you see the huge fish 33 has just delivered??  

08:32  IR0 arrives, followed by Maya as 33 lands with a huge fish

taken by IR0

33 flies off, then Maya leaving IR0

08:43  IR0 continues to tuck in side of the nest

08:47  Maya stands by waiting patiently for IR0 to finish

• 09:14  Maya arrives as IR0 is finishing. IR0 cleans his beak and flies off.  Maya cleans up around the fish 

09:16 She flies off with it

Off for a bit now - SYL

• But please, keep posting :-

Ha! Bless you but you manage to capture it all  Yay!!!!

I think Maya and 33 are reluctant to let 1RO leave, keeping him well fed..CHOL:):)