Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 28 July 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I just walked through the door, back from dog-sitting for friends in Indianapolis. Except for cuddling the dogs, it was an awful time in every possible way. I don't think I'm going to do it again. Probably won't be asked. My friend and I had a bad argument on the way home. I will do you all a favor and not detail my 5 days for you. 

No wildlife stories from me this week, except that there were also raccoons in the attic there.

I will now read and catch up with all your news. Everyone have a good week. Love and hugs to all.

• Rusty: That's definitely what they call a "cottage garden" here, but unlike here, there's an actual cottage to go with it!  Just gorgeous.

OG; Happy Belated Wedding Anniversary.  

Lindybird:  I have a shrub along the back of the house that I trim in such a way that the higher branches form a sort of shady arch (just a hint of one), but last time he was here, the gardener misunderstood me (I probably wasn't entirely clear on what I was blathering about) and sheared it all back neatly.  Sigh.  I'm beginning to wonder if I shouldn't loop some brightly colored tape across it for next time.

Heather: I was thinking you'd mentioned some time back that you listened to the BBC World Service at night when you couldn't sleep but these days I imagine it would just create more anxiety.  The world has some seriously nasty and ruthless leaders  - mostly old men desperate to hang on to power no matter how many people suffer.   They're disgusting.

OH and I were tired of cleaning up the mess under the bird feeder which was, once again, attracting squirrels and rats (the former cute, the latter not so much).  I checked around and found this wonderful bird feeder hoop online.  It's made of a fine mesh, is 3' in diameter, attaches to the base of the feeder with adjustable ties and catches about 90% of the dropped seeds etc.  .  We were very happy - but the squirrels were absolutely thrilled. They discovered it made the perfect landing site for their leaps from the nearby hedge and from the roof above the feeder. It hadn't been up 24 hours before we had one bouncing around in it, scarfing up the seed and making an even bigger mess.  Not only that, it had managed to create small holes in the mesh. After a few days, I took the darn thing down and I've been trying to find another spot away from critter highways and byways.  No luck yet.

Anyway, the kids and I are off to see El Desfile Historico (The Historical Parade) that is one of the highlights of Old Spanish Days, Santa Barbara's annual celebration of its Spanish roots (it's the 100th anniversary).  It's one of the largest equestrian parades in the country: Most of the hundreds of horses are decked out with lots of silver on their bridles and saddles; the male riders wear colorful traditional outfits with sombreros while the female riders wear elaborate outfits with lots of lace and long dresses that drape over the horse's hindquarters.  The horse troupes are interpersed with Mexican bands, traditonal Spanish dancers, Mexican folkloric dancers and horse-drawn carriages from that period bedecked with flowers (and various honored guests!). Dotted in between are mounted police teams from all over the state (a little more sedate than the other participants).  It's quite the event.  

Anyway, time to call it a night.  Take care everyone.