Weekly Chat (Non-Osprey), 28 July 2024

HAPPY NEW WEEK!

I just walked through the door, back from dog-sitting for friends in Indianapolis. Except for cuddling the dogs, it was an awful time in every possible way. I don't think I'm going to do it again. Probably won't be asked. My friend and I had a bad argument on the way home. I will do you all a favor and not detail my 5 days for you. 

No wildlife stories from me this week, except that there were also raccoons in the attic there.

I will now read and catch up with all your news. Everyone have a good week. Love and hugs to all.

• Hey Diane:  Thanks for starting us off.  Sorry about the argument with your friend.  Didn't you have a similar experience some years back?  Wonder what she'll do next time she needs a dogsitter....

Watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics:  Very French and - to me at least  -  some lovely/fascinating/clever components (also a couple that I didn't like) but overall it seemed somewhat disjointed. even though the at-home audience had the benefit of multiple cameras that made for comparatively seamless transitions. But I can only wonder how the on-the-ground spectators followed it all.....  and then of course the wretched weather.

OG:  I love it when an off-chance decision pays off.  Golden Chippings?  They sound pretty.  

AQ:  I hope you're busy with all kinds of positive things.

Have been spending a lot of time catching up in the garden: Spread Blood Meal around the mandarin orange tree and then added mulch after giving it a good soakinng; tomorrow it's the orange tree's turn.   Also have to do something about my keyboard which is sticking more all the time.

Anyway, take care all and have a good Sunday.

• Good morning from a very sunny Suffolk Sunday!

Diane - so sorry you had a rough time at your friends, I was hoping it would have been a nice break and change of scenery for you.

For once, I haven't had to drive anywhere for a whole week and have enjoyed walking around my little town and area. Just as well as yesterday my car would not start and just made a clicking sound. Called my breakdown company and they came very quickly, tested the battery and it was faulty. Luckily the mechanic had a new one in his van so he fitted that and all was well.

I've also joined the medical issues club - a few weeks ago I had to have a 24hr ECG test, as I have been getting palpitations and feeling not right. I am already on blood pressure tablets and statins and now the doctor wants me to take beta blockers as well! Anyway they called last week to say the doctor wants to discuss the results from the ECG, stressing it was nothing to worry about! First telephone appointment they could offer was next Tuesday! No face to face appointments available which I find amazing as whenever I go over to the surgery, there are just one or two people there waiting and 6 plus staff??

Anyway I must go and get ready for Mass and will enjoy my Sunday.

Have a good week all and keep safe.

• DIANE – Thank you for starting a new week. What a disappointment that your relaxing week did not happen. {{{HUGS}}}

ANNETTE – I planned to doze in the sunshine this morn but our resident dove was in my spot on the back verandah. By the time he moved on, the clouds had arrived.

OH’s cardigan only needs the band sewn on, not something I can do watching TV. I must find some other to knit tonight. I checked program – swimming swimming swimming. Surely the channels could show something else; Aussies do other sports!

Today’s temps 3.5 C to 13.3 C. Brrr. Tomorrow should be warmer 4 to 15.

• Diane - thank you for starting us off when you had only just got home. So sorry that your visit to dog sit didn’t go well and ended with an upset. Such a shame. I hope you manage to have a good week now.

Oh dear Harelady - battery problems for the car and health problems for you. I really think these telephone appointments with the doctor are a bad idea. Face to face they can see you much more about you. The way you look and move says so much. 
    Annette - I must say I haven’t watched the Olympics. Not really my thing. It’s hard to find anything else to watch but, fortunately, I have a good book on the go which my sister passed on to me.

This morning I have cooked a batch of a sort of lamb curry which I will freeze into portions. I have also done the ironing. This afternoon I must cut the grass as it is garden waste collection day tomorrow. It is lovely and sunny just now and I have all the windows open. 

• Diane - I am also very sorry that your dog sitting break did not turn out well. I think we were all hoping that you were enjoying a much needed relaxing time. Wishing you some comfortable weather at home and sightings of your favourite critters.

Sorry to hear of your problems Harelady. I hope your health problems can be resolved soon. Some telephone appointments can be helpful. At least it is something.

My OH has been sent a  rheumatology telephone appointment for September. He is glad he doesn't actually have to get there.

Good to hear from you, AQ. I also like to knit while watching TV. I am still making the blankets. Winter will come.

Granddaughter is here at the moment. We also watched some of the Olympics opening ceremony. It must have been difficult to follow for the folks who were there and didn't get the overall view. I agree with Annette about the content. We obviously didn't "get" some of it. I did admire the performers carrying on regardless through all that rain. It cannot have been easy.

MY OH still needs quite a lot of help. He is improving physically, but he has not got over the shock of the whole thing. Some more relatives visiting tomorrow.

Best wishes to Heather and everyone else.