LLYN BRENIG - JUNE 2024 - 01 JULY 2024

CONTINUED FROM MAY 2024

LINK to Opening Page with background and history of this nest and relevant links

This season so far   

31 March Blue LJ2 returns

1 April Blue 372 briefly visits, 6 April Blue 372 returns and stays

Sadly, Blue LM6 has not returned

Eggs laid

#1 April 23 - 17.40, #2 April 26 - 19.28, #3 April 29 - 15.46

Hatched

June 2 - 00.52, June 4 - 09.48?  I believe these are eggs 2 and 3. 

All captures and videos ©️NWWT, Welsh Water, Brenig Osprey Project

RESUMÉ FOR MAY 2024

The new couple’s relationship has continued to grow. They have worked hard together to maintain and strengthen their nest, bringing in new materials daily. Both birds have been catching fish and sharing these with each other. They have also shared incubation and developed strategies to get each other off the eggs when needed! They have also defended their nest from intruders, the most traumatic being when Blue 432, Eshells, a 3 year old returner from Kielder visited on the 9th of May.. Blue 372 fought hard to keep her place on the nest as she was continually chased and dive bombed in Blue 432’s bid to oust her. The eggs were left unattended for around 3 1/2 hours. Luckily it was a warm evening so hopefully no damage done. The most exciting visit came from dear KA9 (22), Gelert, son of LJ2 and LM6 when he arrived on the morning of the 25th of May. It was a short visit as he was soon ushered away by LJ2.

• 13.23 LJ2 brought in a small, whole fish.

13.26 He stood in front of the bobs so the feed was blocked.

13.33 when LJ2 moved further round the nest, the 2 little bobs were seen bobbing away.

13.34 372 settled down on the bobs and egg

13.35 LJ2 then walked round to take the fish off nest to eat.

©️NWWT, WW, BOP

• They are also thinking that it is the first and second eggs that have hatched so I may be wrong thinking it’s the second and third. 

You're very welcome re the pics, just wanted to do a reassuring post Hugging

If it was egg #1 that hatched first, it would have been at 40 days. If egg #2 hatched today, it would have been at 39 days but if it was the first one to hatch, it was at 37 days. Egg #3 was at 36 days today. Like you, Glider, I still think the chicks are from the 2nd and 3rd eggs. We'll have to wait and see...

• Thanks Sandra. I thought 37 and 36 days seemed more likely for eggs 2 and 3 rather than 40 and 39 days for eggs 1 and 2. Plus to me it looks like the remaining egg is the one with the very dark bottom, which was #1. Yes, time will tell! Slight smile

• 15.31 LJ2 arrived fishless on the nest. 372 was shouting for a delivery.

It was 18.22 before LJ2 brought in a fish but was a whole large one.

372 took it quickly

18.23 372 ate first 

18.25 LJ2 moved away and flew off. The bobs were revealed.

18.25 Bob #1 was fed multiple times.

372 ate quite a lot herself. She looked like she was going to offer bob #2 a couple of times then moved her beak over to bob #1 instead. Sadly Bob #2 didn’t get anything this time.

18.34 372 was settled back over the chicks and egg. 

©️NWWT, WW, BOP

• 18.35 LJ2 cam and collected the fish.

He needed to feed as well

18.57 However when he returned, 22 minutes later, there was no fish. He must’ve dropped it. It was such a big one too. Disappointed

372 told him she needed another.

19.31 372 got up off the bobs. She was fish calling.

19.32 She pecked at a couple of scraps of fish lying on the nest then flew off.

Bobs home alone

19.33 372 returned

21.14 372 current scene. LJ2 hasn’t been back yet.

©️NWWT, WW, BOP

• 22.32 Hope LJ2 brings in an early fish tomorrow morning.

©️NWWT, WW, BOP

• Thanks Sandra. I thought 37 and 36 days seemed more likely for eggs 2 and 3 rather than 40 and 39 days for eggs 1 and 2. Plus to me it looks like the remaining egg is the one with the very dark bottom, which was #1. Yes, time will tell! Slight smile

As you say time will tell, but the consensus among the volunteers is that it is eggs 1 & 2 which have hatched. Llyn Benig is around 1000 feet above sea level so the ambient temperature is around 2 degrees Celsius lower than at sea level which might account for longer hatching times. It has certainly been a cold hatching period - I had 5 layers on when I was at Brenig last Wednesday! 

• Hi AG, thanks for that information, it’s good to know the geographics. The volunteers are there in person and will have watched a lot more hours than me on my screen and are living there in the cold environment so will have a better idea. I didn’t realise that it could account for longer hatching times so we may see the other egg hatch tomorrow. Slight smile

That’s a lovely photo of some of the volunteers on Brenig FB today, I hope you’re standing there with your best smile on! Smile

• Yes I'm there, trying to hide behind my wife who is the lady in the pale blue jumper in the middle of the image. That shot was taken on the training day in March - which was VERY cold.

• June 5

Good morning AG and ALL.
    05.24 LJ2 brought in a small headless fish early this morning. #2 bob was offered the most with #1 bob getting some later on.

05.25 372 had a few pieces first

05.26 #2 being offered one of many pieces 

05.28 372 readjusts

#1 getting fed

05.37 372 settling down. 

Nice to see it dry today. 

©️NWWT, WW, BOP