MANTON BAY - June 2024

Continued from Manton Bay – May 2024.

The history of the Manton Bay nest and stats can be found here .

The season so far:  On 12 March, Maya returned 12 March @ 15:58 and Blue 33(11) on the 13 March @ 15:25.     Maya laid her first egg on 30 March @ 13:58, the second on 02 April @ 13:15 and a third on 05 April @ 11:06.    At 23:23 on 10 May, egg #3 after 35 days was the only one to hatch. Maya had previously removed one egg at 10:50 on 5 May and the other remains on the nest.   On 15 May at 14:21 a live fish flapped, displacing the chick into the sticks at the side of the nest. Unable to get free, Rutland Officials accessed the nest and placed the chick back in the middle of the nest thankfully none the worse for its ordeal. 

Around the third week in June, the chick will be ringed with its blue darvic and we will learn more about it ie its sex, measurements, weight etc.  Until then, it will eat, sleep and continue to grow into a beautiful young osprey.

• Meanwhile, Maya had another fish delivery. 1R0 decided it was easier getting a feed from her! 

Typical Teenager CHOL);); 

• Morning all..07.09ish

1RO certainly exercising those muscles.

Whoa steady

but safely down

©️L&RWT

• 16,05 33 still bringing Fish

33.watches/waits for Mum to arrive

Mum wants to supervise.

so takes over,the lad just looks on

33 flies off

Mum reluctant to feed little one ( not so little)

trying to coax him to take from her beak

©️L&RWT

• Fab sequence Kate, thanks.Slight smile

According to the chat, there have been 5 whole fish brought to the nest today. This boy is so well looked after…………then 33 arrived with a branch and landed with it settling on 1R0’s back.

1R0 was non too pleased and pecked at dad

twice!

They then worked together to lay the stick

You can see the contrast in eye colour.

©️L&RWT

I don’t know if you’re able to check in Karen but if so I hope that you are comfortable and getting better and enjoy all the updates showing you how well this family is doing. HuggingTwo hearts

• Morning all and Thank you Glider I am sure we all join you in wishing our Dear Karen was in fact here with us ,and posting her so informative posts.

Life at times is so cruel,but do hope she is able to at least see our attempts of this very important stage of 1RO.

Am sure next few days will see him fly, those wings looking very strong and Healthy

is he going......Noooooooo Ha!!

Incidentally, for anyone new looking in,there is wonderful fulll daily activity on observation, HERE and at top of that page History Links.

If i recall 53 days is average flight time and think we are day 51/52