MANTON BAY - June 2024 to end of season

Continued from Manton Bay – May 2024.

The history of the Manton Bay nest and stats can be found here .

The season so far:  On 12 March, Maya returned 12 March @ 15:58 and Blue 33(11) on the 13 March @ 15:25.     Maya laid her first egg on 30 March @ 13:58, the second on 02 April @ 13:15 and a third on 05 April @ 11:06.    At 23:23 on 10 May, egg #3 after 35 days was the only one to hatch. Maya had previously removed one egg at 10:50 on 5 May and the other remains on the nest.   On 15 May at 14:21 a live fish flapped, displacing the chick into the sticks at the side of the nest. Unable to get free, Rutland Officials accessed the nest and placed the chick back in the middle of the nest thankfully none the worse for its ordeal. 

Around the third week in June, the chick will be ringed with its blue darvic and we will learn more about it ie its sex, measurements, weight etc.  Until then, it will eat, sleep and continue to grow into a beautiful young osprey.

• No probs Glider, I am not a patch on our dear Karen, but  I try and Thank you for comments.

This morning sees a lovely sunrise( days of old Ha!!)

Maya, first to arrive,Dad delivers some sort  of fish, quickly followed by the lad,( look at the size of him now).

followed by Maya short while later

almost an hour later 08.08ish himself leaves.

©️L&RWT

• 09 July

The definition of a spoilt brat? LaughingHeartpulse

IMAGICAT

• Morning all, thanks scylla.

Fish delivered by 33 around 06.24 The lad takes it and makes good start into eating, but then the morning progressed with lots of toing an froing with Maya at one stage taking frish from youngster and off nest, only to return short while later.

eventually the lad leaves,after cleaning his beak on the twigs.around 07 50

©️L&RWT

• No probs Glider, I am not a patch on our dear Karen, but  I try and Thank you for comments.

Well you’re doing great Kate, I know Karen is like “Mrs Manton!” Heart eyes  but I’m sure if she is reading any of the pages, she’ll be enjoying your posts too. HuggingTwo hearts  

• Morning all

nest often empty now, but obviously near by.

33 delivered a fish at 0530 and the lad soon zoomed in and learnt he has to take, only a small tussle and he is left to enjoy.

about hour later still not much eaten so he flies off,bur of course Maya has been watching from a distance and flies in and removes fish.

and Maya's retrieval

©️L&RWT

I hope you'll be back soon, KAREN - but in the meantime how lucky you are to have such a conscientious and talented understudy AstonishedHeart eyes

IMAGICAT

• Morning all.

early morning delivery by 33 at 05 04 ish, The lad could not get a grip of fish, so 33 kindly stepped off to leave it for him, he eats for about 30 mins, when a stick rolls against him, Ha!! as usual again Maya is watching and lands 05.26, has some bites for herself and after 1RO leaves at 005 28, she nibbles again and takes remains off at 05.34.(all times are 'ish' as not as good as Karen,)

1RO

33 arrives with fish

couple scaps from other nest.

Maya arrives

EDIT    0823 another fish delivery, after only short while 1RO leaves and 33 returns to take away remains.

and at 08.48 a lovely Black headed gull

©️L&RWT

• Morning all

Fish delivered last night think by Maya, 1RO did not fish and remained on nest all night till about 04.20ish this morning, Then a bit iffy with times as unfortunately I have not time to actually put timings on,but after they toing and froing 1RO left around 07.22..We NEED Mrs Manton to return .hope you are recovering Karen BIG Hugs.

EDIT see bottom of posts....33 in the water,as noted by bart in chat...

Last evening delivery

Maya returns morning

joined by 1RO lovely morning

not interested so going

shortly followed by Maya

EDIT ........    33 in the water last night at 20.23

©️L&RWT

• Lovely captures thanks Kate, 1R0 watching his dad in the water and a beautiful sunrise. Hugging

19.13 What a fab fish 33 brought to 1R0 tonight.

It was very large and lively

The fish flapped 1R0 over!

Then when he tried to lift it with his beak, the fish flapped free and1R0 lost his balance.

He had to stand on it to get control

19.14 33 left to let his son get on with it.

Quite a learning curve as the fish broke free again 

1R0 got hold again with his talons and won the battle. He ate for just under an hour before mum arrived.

20.12 Maya landed and immediately picked up a dropped scrap and ate it.

20.20 1R0 was soon back beside his mum getting fed. 

©️L&RWT 

• Morning all

Glider,

fantastic captures well done,

as you say a BIG learning curve for the lad,Thankfully he was strong enough to with stand the poor fish bid for freedom CHOL:):)