LOCH OF THE LOWES - June 2024

Continued from May 2024

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter, Blogs, SWT News Feed and to Donate >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the current 'LIVE' YouTube link, visit >>> https://www.youtube.com/@ScottishWildlifeTrustvideos/streams or >>> Embedded YT link

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery, with funds awarded by Postcode Planet Trust

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the 9th May, a dark, unringed male intruder (with a distinctive large pupil in his right eye and who the team at Lowes has estimated to be 2-3 years of age) has been a regular visitor to the nest. The Pale Male, who had ‘destroyed’ the three eggs on the 7th/8th May, has not been seen on camera again and it was mentioned that this new young male had chased him from the area.

He has delivered many small fish ‘gifts’ (three in one day on a couple of occasions) and a sizable larger one to NC0 - her calls expressed how grateful she was - but that did not stop her from catching her own huge meal on the 23rd May, to satisfy her appetite. His many mating attempts have so far been rejected by NC0 though this has not put him off from making continuous efforts. The Dark Intruder, as named by staff in the hides on the reserve, is showing great nest building skills - bringing in a multitude of various-sized sticks and soft nesting material.

Although the relationship is in its early stages, NC0 appears to have accepted him as a 'potential' future mate and they have been observed working as a team to defend the nest against seen, and unseen, intruders - all encouraging signs for the beginning of a possible new chapter here at Loch of the Lowes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nest Updates 

Arrival dates:  NC0(16) - 8.3.24 (17:52)   Laddie (LM12) - 27.3.24 (16:38)  RIP Laddie (LM12) - remains found 3.5.24   Broken heart

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 17.4.24 (10:48)  Egg #2 - 20.4.24 (10:53)  Egg #3 - 23.4.24 (20:47)

*Two eggs were destroyed on 7.5.24; the third one on 8.5.24, by an unringed, Pale Male Osprey. All were deemed unviable due to being chilled and left for long periods without incubation

Links to blogs and updates during March,  April,  May

June Blogs and Updates (Published dates)

20.6.24: LotL Fb >>> Update re NC0, DI and two female nest intruders

• New YT URL from 23:03

It was ENS at the start of the new streaming

And remains ENS an hour later

©SWT/LotL

• 27th June

Morning All

NC0 did not spend time at the nest overnight

At 5:28 She had been on the birch, she made her way to the nest

The male arrived with a stick

She fish called and checked his talons on landing

Not impressed that he didn't have a fish, she pecked at him!

He flew off

NC0 remained on the nest, fish calling, until 5:34

She flew behind the birch

The next appearance from the male was at 5:55 - another stick

He did some nestorising

It was a 4 minutes or so before NC0 appeared, asking for fish 

He flew off at 6:00

And headed around the birch corner

NC0 remained on the nest and at 7:02, the male arrived with another stick. She was vocalising very loudly!

He left around a minute later

7:20 Yet another stick was brought in. NC0 was giving her breakfish orders!

He left at 7:22

NC0 brought a long stick to the nest herself at 7:56

She was on and off the nest a couple of times more after that

NC0 preening at present, 9:30

BFN

©SWT/LotL

• The cam went offline at 13:29ish but I did still have the previous streaming that I could scroll through.

There was a headless fish delivery at approximately 13:00ish

She transferred it into her talons

Then picked it up in her beak again when changing her position

She then walked with it in her talons to the front edge of the nest. The male cleaned his beak

She remained on the nest to eat

New YT URL from 13:36

At 14:18, NC0 was on alert - no alarm calling

The male arrived

He was on silent defence as well

NC0 chipped

He flew off at 14:20

She chipped and watched the sky

NC0 was calm a short while after - no threat seen or heard

At 14:29, she prepared herself for a fish delivery. The male arrived

Unfortunately, it was a small clump of moss

NC0 continued to fish call

He flew off to the left, over the inlet, less than minute later

Although NC0 has been off the nest for a short while since then, she returned at 15:04

At present, 15:11

©SWT/LotL

• There was another headless fish delivery at 17:00

NC0 was eager to collect it

He cleaned his beak

NC0 was still expressing her delight when the male hovered over her

He attempted to mate, she deterred him

He hovered again

Before flying off at 17:02

She tucked in to her fish on the nest until 17:06

The wind was really picking up

She flew off to the right with the remainder of her meal

NC0 returned at 17:30, it appeared that she had taken a bath

She preened and gave her wings a good flap

She fish called before leaving at 17:33, heading directly to the right

It remained ENS until NC0 came down from the cam post at 18:55. She was fish calling

She is still there quietly waiting at present, 19:06

©SWT/LotL

Sandra said:

Oh.crikey! I was just going to have a scroll through the footage, after a very busy day for me, to find that the cam is offline!

So that's 12 hours missing from (approx) 08:30 to 20:30 on the 26th?

I decided that even if I've got it wrong, you won't have video so it's OK Upside down  I wanted to tackle it yesterday but couldn't manage, so it's late -

The fishes and intrusions are up to 10:20, and I tagged a cam zoom on, just for the sake of it - that's the only clip I "enhanced" in any way.

26 June am - 2 x flappers, intrusions:

IMAGICAT

• Hi Scylla,

Yes, that's correct. Thank you so much for your video, it's so very much appreciated! Kissing heart

• NC0 was last seen on the nest at 20:55 when she arrived calling for fish

She wandered over to the back of the nest, still calling

She remained there for just under 2 minutes before heading off to the birch

She stayed on the birch until 22:30ish when she flew off down the inlet

It remained ENS. Pre night cam, 23:11

23:39 NC0 is roosting away from the nest tonight

©SWT/LotL

• 28th June

Morning All

Scrolling through the footage so far, NC0 has been on and off the nest a few time this morning. She did have a couple of silent mantling moments but no threat was seen.

At present, 10:46, she is quietly waiting on the nest

I can't see that the male has been to the nest so far

©SWT/LotL

• There was a live fish delivery at 14:40

He left almost straight away

She ensured her meal was firmly in her talons

Then took it off nest to eat

I don't think this was her first meal though. At 13:27, she landed on the nest after quite a while away from it

She cleaned her beak on the sticks on several occasions

The male had not delivered a fish to the nest prior to her long absence (that I could see, anyway) - perhaps she caught one herself or there had been an off nest exchange?

©SWT/LotL

• Apologies, I can't do a catch up report but suffice to say both the male and NC0 have been on the nest, either her on her own or together, I can't see that there have been any more fish deliveries. Between 19:31 and 19:34, he made a couple of attempts to mate with her but she deterred him from doing so.

23:10 It has been ENS since 20:56

©SWT/LotL