LOCH OF THE LOWES - June 2024 to end of season

Continued from May 2024

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter, Blogs, SWT News Feed and to Donate >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the current 'LIVE' YouTube link, visit >>> https://www.youtube.com/@ScottishWildlifeTrustvideos/streams or >>> Embedded YT link

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery, with funds awarded by Postcode Planet Trust

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the 9th May, a dark, unringed male intruder (with a distinctive large pupil in his right eye and who the team at Lowes has estimated to be 2-3 years of age) has been a regular visitor to the nest. The Pale Male, who had ‘destroyed’ the three eggs on the 7th/8th May, has not been seen on camera again and it was mentioned that this new young male had chased him from the area.

He has delivered many small fish ‘gifts’ (three in one day on a couple of occasions) and a sizable larger one to NC0 - her calls expressed how grateful she was - but that did not stop her from catching her own huge meal on the 23rd May, to satisfy her appetite. His many mating attempts have so far been rejected by NC0 though this has not put him off from making continuous efforts. The Dark Intruder, as named by staff in the hides on the reserve, is showing great nest building skills - bringing in a multitude of various-sized sticks and soft nesting material.

Although the relationship is in its early stages, NC0 appears to have accepted him as a 'potential' future mate and they have been observed working as a team to defend the nest against seen, and unseen, intruders - all encouraging signs for the beginning of a possible new chapter here at Loch of the Lowes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nest Updates 

Arrival dates:  NC0(16) - 8.3.24 (17:52)   Laddie (LM12) - 27.3.24 (16:38)  RIP Laddie (LM12) - remains found 3.5.24   Broken heart

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 17.4.24 (10:48)  Egg #2 - 20.4.24 (10:53)  Egg #3 - 23.4.24 (20:47)

*Two eggs were destroyed on 7.5.24; the third one on 8.5.24, by an unringed, Pale Male Osprey. All were deemed unviable due to being chilled and left for long periods without incubation

Links to blogs and updates during March,  April,  May

June to end of season Blogs and Updates (Published dates)

20.6.24: LotL Fb >>> Update re NC0, DI and two female nest intruders

• NC0 returned to the nest at 14:57. It appeared that she'd had a bath

She began to preen and remained on this side of the nest for a little while

She then made her way to the back of the nest

She continued to preen

At 15:08, she left the nest

I didn't hear her land on the cam post

Scene at present, 15:32

©SWTLotL

• The cam went offline

New YT URL from 16:47

ENS

©SWT/LotL

• NC0 came to the nest at 19:45 - it had remained ENS up until then

She brought a small lichen covered stick. Contact calls made on landing

She repositioned her 'log' slightly

She quietly looked around and preened while standing at the back of the nest

She continued with that routine until heading to the birch at 20:02

She's still there at present 21:06

Edit: She flew off behind the birch (past the area marked) as I hit the reply button! lol

©SWT/LotL

• I’ll bet NC0’s log will still be there next year when she returns in the Spring! Laughing

• 21:51 NC0 had been back on the birch. She left there and headed back to the nest - she was fish calling

Her feathers appeared to be wet. I did not check the footage to see if she had made a dive at some point

She preened in between her fish calling

At 22:00, the male landed on the birch

22:17

She moved from her position on the back of the nest at 22:18 - the male had just flown from the birch

He flew close to the trees on the other side of the inlet

Then past the left side of the nest

NC0 remained on the nest until, still calling for fish, she flew off to the birch at 22:22

22:53

22:55 She left the birch and flew towards, and then past, the left side of nest

Pre night cam at 23:12

23:48

©SWT/LotL

• I’ll bet NC0’s log will still be there next year when she returns in the Spring!

Lol, Glider! Grin

At least there are plenty of pics to ID it, especially in comparison to others that may be put on there after a pre-season nest tidy up! Wink

• 9th July

Morning All

5:09 NC0 had already paid a visit to the nest and was sitting on the birch when the male made his first appearance. She made her way over to join him

She checked to see if he had brought a fish

I like the way he looked at her!

NC0 was quiet

As he turned, NC0 pecked at him - not in an aggressive way

NC0 fish called quietly (for her!)

5:14 He left

At 5:51, NC0 brought a small stick to the nest

A much longer one at 5:57

©SWT/LotL

• I was part-way through scrolling through this morning's footage but had to take a phone call. On my return, the cam had gone offline at 10:47 so of course, couldn't continue!

New YT URL from 10:56

NC0 was on the nest at the start of the streaming

10:59 She was on intruder alert, mantling and chipping

No threat seen or heard

NC0 remained on the nest and at 11:06, after quietly looking around...

...gave her feathers a shake...

...had an overhead wing stretch...

...and flew off

She headed directly to the left after this pic

At present, 11:48, it has remained ENS

©SWT/LotL

• I can't see that anyone has visited the nest since my last report

20:11 NC0 is, at present, fish calling on the cam post

Edit: She flew off, flight unseen but heard, at 20:20

©SWT/LotL

• NC0 returned to the nest, flying from the birch area, at 21:21. She was fish calling

Her undercarriage and wings were wet

She was still very vocal

She jumped up to the right side of the perch

Continuing to vocalise

The male had not come to the nest prior to the cam going offline at 21:43. NC0 was on the perch

Cam still offline at 22:20

©SWT/LotL