LOCH OF THE LOWES - June 2024 to end of season

Continued from May 2024

Webcam page with links to LotL Visitor Centre and Wildlife Reserve FB, Twitter, Blogs, SWT News Feed and to Donate >>>

https://scottishwildlifetrust.org.uk/things-to-do/watch-wildlife-online/loch-of-the-lowes-webcam/

For the current 'LIVE' YouTube link, visit >>> https://www.youtube.com/@ScottishWildlifeTrustvideos/streams or >>> Embedded YT link

The Osprey Protection Programme at Loch of the Lowes is supported by players of People’s Postcode Lottery, with funds awarded by Postcode Planet Trust

All captures and videos ©Scottish Wildlife Trust/Loch of the Lowes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since the 9th May, a dark, unringed male intruder (with a distinctive large pupil in his right eye and who the team at Lowes has estimated to be 2-3 years of age) has been a regular visitor to the nest. The Pale Male, who had ‘destroyed’ the three eggs on the 7th/8th May, has not been seen on camera again and it was mentioned that this new young male had chased him from the area.

He has delivered many small fish ‘gifts’ (three in one day on a couple of occasions) and a sizable larger one to NC0 - her calls expressed how grateful she was - but that did not stop her from catching her own huge meal on the 23rd May, to satisfy her appetite. His many mating attempts have so far been rejected by NC0 though this has not put him off from making continuous efforts. The Dark Intruder, as named by staff in the hides on the reserve, is showing great nest building skills - bringing in a multitude of various-sized sticks and soft nesting material.

Although the relationship is in its early stages, NC0 appears to have accepted him as a 'potential' future mate and they have been observed working as a team to defend the nest against seen, and unseen, intruders - all encouraging signs for the beginning of a possible new chapter here at Loch of the Lowes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nest Updates 

Arrival dates:  NC0(16) - 8.3.24 (17:52)   Laddie (LM12) - 27.3.24 (16:38)  RIP Laddie (LM12) - remains found 3.5.24   Broken heart

Eggs laid: Egg #1 - 17.4.24 (10:48)  Egg #2 - 20.4.24 (10:53)  Egg #3 - 23.4.24 (20:47)

*Two eggs were destroyed on 7.5.24; the third one on 8.5.24, by an unringed, Pale Male Osprey. All were deemed unviable due to being chilled and left for long periods without incubation

Links to blogs and updates during March,  April,  May

June to end of season Blogs and Updates (Published dates)

20.6.24: LotL Fb >>> Update re NC0, DI and two female nest intruders

• 3rd August

Good evening,

First, I'd like to express my sincere gratitude to everyone who has kept the thread going while I've been absent - it is very much appreciated! I still have a lot going on health-wise but wanted to report a wonderful headless fish delivery at 16:43ish today. I wonder if, while they've not been seen on cam, NC0 has shown the male an alternative fishing spot? It was his largest and chunkiest catch I've seen him bring to her!

NC0 had landed on the nest only a minute or so prior to the male's arrival

Was it a salmon?

She sounded delighted as the male cleaned his beak

After he cleaned his beak some more, he flew off

NC0 left with her lovely meal shortly after

I did not see her go to the birch area

The male arrived with a stick soon after NC0 had flown off

©SWT/LotL

• Grreat capture Sandra, so good to hear from you, take great care and hope to hear you are well soon?

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

I made this Unlisted because I've put insufficient warning on it about it being so long and "uneventful".  It's one of those "this is what she was like" videos, I can advise you of it's skippability here but I should have put it on the vid.

Sandra said:
    a wonderful headless fish delivery at 16:43ish today

I'm only THREE MINUTES OUT !!!

Sandra said:
    NC0 had landed on the nest only a minute or so prior to the male's arrival

However, as you can see from Video One above, she'd been waiting for "rather a long time" earlier Laughing

As you can imagine, the above were in the making for a very long time, you weren't here when I first opened up RF, just as well I reversed and refreshed.  I'm so grateful to be able to ditch the half-composed msg "Is anyone directly in touch with Sandra?" etc, was getting really, really worried.  I'm so glad that DM's magnificent fish drew you here despite persisting health probs - I do hope you'll soon be truly on the mend Heartpulse

IMAGICAT

• Lovely to see your post Sandra. It was a super fish for NC0. Maybe she has helped the male discover a much better fishing spot? I’m not sure what it was but it could’ve been a salmon as you said as the flesh was very red. Keep looking after yourself and get better soon. Kissing heartTwo hearts