MANTON BAY - May 2024

Continued from Manton Bay – April 2024.

The history of the Manton Bay nest and stats can be found here .

The season so far:  On 12 March, Maya returned 12 March @ 15:58 and Blue 33(11) on the 13 March @ 15:25.     Maya laid her first egg on 30 March @ 13:58, the second on 02 April @ 13:15 and a third on 05 April @ 11:06

All images in this thread copyright of   © Leicestershire & Rutland Wildlife Trust

Maya and 33(11) have taken turns incubating their precious eggs and we should see the first hatch towards the end of the first week in May.

• 16:03  33 arrives with a smallish (well for his standards) for Maya

• Sorry to hear about the loss of one of the eggs Karen, I agree with LAM after looking at your video, it shows Maya continually pecking at something at the base of the nest cup which I think may be leakage from the egg that was probably perforated. She was able to pick it up easily in her beak to remove. You’re right though, as sad as it is, it could have been much worse and if two beautiful youngsters fledge here this season, it’ll have been a great success. Two heartsHugging

• Thank you for sharing that information about LoTL and can understand how you must be feeling having followed Laddie from the very start! He was one of the first nests we followed when he was with Lassie and we are going to miss him alot too.

Pray that the rest of the season is stress free for all nests from now on!

Aww no problem which egg it was only trying to work out the hatching but whenever it is will be nice. 

• Sorry to read about one of the eggs, at least we still have 2 others that will hopefully hatch. What a sad and devastating week it has been for all.

Karen, you must feel this loss more, as you have followed Laddie from the beginning and have seen him live. We get so attached to these birds, when anything happens, it is a great shock., keep strong

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Thanks everyone it is hard for me - for us all - and especially for Sandra but we keep going.   

Fingers crossed Lowes settles quickly as a new male will have to take up residence with NCO and hopefully she doesn't endure the same as Asha.   

I've no idea which egg Maya has removed but I'm still going to hedge my bet on day 39 which will be May the 8th for the first hatch.   I still think Maya delayed incubating the first egg and always expected #1 and #2 to hatch close so I'm going for it being one of them.

• Morning ALL

Day 37 

08:55  33 rises and we get a quick peek at the eggs. 

and again at 09:07

• 09:14  Maya returns with a large bunch of hay 

changeover - 33 flies off

Maya plonks the hay on the eggs blocking our view

and then settles down 

• Oh my goodness!!

12:06  33 incubating then looks alarmed and no wonder - 

Maya returns with a large, pronged stick

33 rises to help her move it

dragged across the eggs!

33 takes off and Maya settles down

• Good grief, be careful Maya! Scream

• 14:22 changeover. 

Maya checks the eggs before settling down but unfortunately we can't get a clear view for the hay