LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

• My goodness, I wonder what brought so many folk out to the hill. I think when it was IDd a few weeks ago it was IDd as being not a Munro.  It much just be a good day for a hill walk. How we will miss that scene when the cam stops soon! 

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

SheilaFE said:
    My goodness, I wonder what brought so many folk out to the hill.

There were a lot more later but I was running down internally so just did that little clip.  I was too lazy even to remind us that you'd snapped the same "hill" in the past.  I wondered if some had bicycles!?

Then I had a crash.  G'night chaps x

• What a bright eye ! it's the only way I located the robin. Good stuff Scylla, Thank you . 

But where is the ''hill''   ? I see a cairn but have no idea what I'm looking at !  Is anyone able to help ?

Two GSWs this morning - and a Kestrel, IMHO, which swooped but the GSW anticipated it and scarpered Hugging

You won't be surprised that it was a rather fleeting sight:

• where is the ''hill''   ? I see a cairn but have no idea what I'm looking at !  Is anyone able to help ?

Exactly what you see Cirrus. The cairn will be the summit of the hill. The kind folk, in the VC kindly zoomed in a few weeks ago, after they had spent some time looking for osprey sightings '- check 12.45 on 20 July. I can't easily copy and paste - I'm  away from home without my laptop. I gave a link to an article about the hill.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

TEST

SheilaFE said:
    check 12.45 on 20 July

It's on page 74... but good luck searching for that by page number like we used to be able to do by changing the page number in the url - because nowadays threads seem to be one continuous page with something done to make them appear in shorter pages as per our previous system.

I got there by reversing 2 pages at a time (the max available apart from going back to OP) in the page numbers at the top of the thread.

This is the URL for this page - community.rspb.org.uk/placestovisit/lochgartenospreys/f/loch-garten-ospreys/287213/loch-garten-2024---may-to-end-of-season/1484721

There's no page number at the end to change to one you estimate might be nearer the one you want, or one that's been specified to search for.

This is the URL for page 74 (reached by reversing as described) - community.rspb.org.uk/placestovisit/lochgartenospreys/f/loch-garten-ospreys/287213/loch-garten-2024---may-to-end-of-season?pifragment-4292=88#pifragment-4292=74&pifragment-4292_dupe=74

But if you change the page number at the end of that... nothing whatsoever happens !!!

Confounded

• I would just like to add my thanks to all contributors on this site who have kept it going through good and bad times this season. It’s really difficult to watch and report on unpleasant things that happen on the nest and you’ve done so well keeping us all up to date with all of the goings on. I pray for Mistle’s (and whoever her mate will be) safe return next year and a happy season with chicks and no drama! PrayHugging

• I would just like to add my sincere thanks to all who have kept us up to date with all the happenings on this nest. Perhaps if Klive arrives much earlier than he has done & Asha arrives too & actually accepts him as a mate, there might be success on this nest once more. who knows. Whatever happens I will definitely follow all that goes on here. Thanks to all once again, your input is very much appreciated.

10 September

A nice Raven visit this afternoon - I've shortened it somewhat.  No zoom, unfortunately.

• Oh, it was lovely that the Raven was vocal. Cheers and thanks Scylla.

Here's trusting that 2025 will be a better year for  Ospreys everywhere in the UK Bluesky2. I'll be looking out for a post from you on  this thread next year. . Trust the  winter  will be kind to you  wherever you live.