LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

09 August

Klive arrived at 05:25 and was in 'n out until 07:50 !!! !!! !!!

Soddim, I'm off Confounded

EDIT

And now I see I've BOPS'd my blooded, sweated and teared work started yestrday and only just finished.  Y'all better look at it or else...

IMAGICAT

• I have complied Scylla, your hard work is greatly appreciated and even moreso knowing how much of a struggle you have in the hot weather! Blush

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• Me too Scylla!  How could I miss your wonderful resumes of events!!

Friday 9 August 2024

Another windy day

05.25       Klive landed on the nestm as the skies get dark

05.38       He wanders around, keeps an eye on the surroundings, pecks at sticks and twigs.  Does some preening.

05.52       Small breaks in the dark clouds show up golden as the sun rises.

06.08       Klive flies off.

06.18       He returned carrying a long think stick

06.51       Klive flies away to the right.

06.59       and returns with a thicker stick, which he places on the back rim.  There was a lot of checking of bits and bobs, picking at sticks, moving lichen and twigs.  The skies remain dark                  with small golden breaks

07.03       HIs attention goes to a large stick on the back rim, but stops to look around.

07.05       And off again.

07.14       And back again with another shortish, awkward stick.  He moves and places other sticks of various sizes, followed by a nest cup.  Another stick pushed into the rim.

07.16       A sudden gust blows his tail up and he loses his balance.  Decorum regained he looks around and preens.

07.29       Some blue appears from the southern skies.  Klive preens.

07.36       The sun gets thru, casting shard of light down to the nest, while Klive preens.

07.40       Klive flies away

07.47       and returned with a stick, and does some nestorising.  The wind gusts, and I've had to turn the sound down.

07.50       The sun is still a bright globe on the top left of our screens.  Klive looks around and he is off again.

08.28       The dark fluffy clouds rolled in again, obliterating the sun, and limiting the blue skies.

Around 11.00 the skies really got dark, and the hills was veiled in low cloud. 

11.14     It began to rain

11:14 to 11:17 a jump in the cam

11.18     It's still raining and blowing.  Klive or another other osprey will be seeking shelter!

11.26     The skies were really dark to the north east, perhaps where the rain had headed, and the wind dropped a bit .  White fluffy clouds appeared from the right.

12.13     The hills in the distance appear again and clouds get higher.

12.40     The nest looks brighter, and the odd blue patch can be seen.  ENS

12.59     The hills disappear again, but it's dry on the nest for now.

13.28     The sun breaks thru, but the wind get up.

13.53     Checking live radar weather it looks as though rain is around, but LG may have missed a lot of it.

14.09     Wind, clouds, dark skies and no sign of Klive

Apparently the cam went down again 13.14 to 13.18 (Chat), but I missed it.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

A basic sllideshow (heehee, talk about lazy, but it's stress-free) evidencing Klive's morning presence:

6+ minuyrd on the nest in the evening - the nestcam was glitchy in the wind.

IMAGICAT