LOCH GARTEN 2024 - May to end of season

Thread for April 2024

All pictures and videos ©️RSPBLochGarten&WildlifeWindows

Please read Korky's comprehensive March 2024 intro

Asha & Brodie

The partnership has matured this season, with Asha continuing her good female role (and she loves nest-building) and Brodie being more reliable, both fishing and incubating.

The pair have fought their way thru all kinds of nasty weather - snow, wind and rain - and intruders, including the dreaded KL5 Klive, have been a nuisance but not dangerous...

so far.

21 April @ 10:47

24 April @ 14:06

27 April @ 13:27

EDIT

Sadly, the month of May heralded irresistible aggression from BlueKL5 "Klive", who had ruined the end of last season for the 2 juvies.

Within the first 2 days Klive had driven Brodie from the area (tho Brodie did return a couple of times to dive-bomb Klive, to no effect) and destroyed the eggs.  He commenced to woo Asha clumsily, selfishly and inappropriately, as can be seen from the following pages.

IMAGICAT

• Double thanks, Holly!  I don't think they are a pair given by the 'welcome' he gave the unringed osprey, who I assume is also a male.

Birdie's DU Summaries 2018   https://www.imagicat.com/

Thank you, Holly !!!

This was what was on the record in June:

And now:

He'll have to make more space in the Tracker/Notes column Laughing

Thankk you for the detailed coverage of the day, SHEILA.  I expect you've been watching the football, I'll say no more SoccerSoccerSoccer

IMAGICAT

• LOL i did, and Wimbledon! And preparing for friends to stay over a long weekend! Phew!

I missed the June intrusion. He is obviously touring and exploring

I didn't video or snap the GSW, as we didn't get very good view.

SheilaFE said:
    the unringed osprey, who I assume is also a male

Me too, but it was a shame it never gave us a full frontal.

Klive's departure tagged onto the front of the URM and 047's visit, just for the record - surprising that he never returned for the rest of the day.

IMAGICAT

11 July

Klive's 10-minute visit early this morning - b-o-r-i-n-g but you know I gotta do it... for the record!

IMAGICAT

• Klive has a lot to answer for, Scylla.  I'll leave it there.

Thanks for the two vids.  

04..00 Low cloud and windy

04.51 Klive landed from the top right, as per Scylla's morning vid

04.23 He look around, stood on one leg, randomly picking up twigs.

05.02  Klive flew off to the left

08.02 Klive returned with a brief chirrup.  It does't look as tho he's been fishing yet, he doesn't have a bulging crop

08.25 Up to the nest perch for a better view

08.30 Klive departs

09.07 a wee birdie lands on the nest perch, and flew off within a minute.  No idea what species.  Poss female redstart of wheatear?  very pale

09.29 can pans, and finally rests on a wood pigeon on dead tree below PTZ

10.41 ENS on both cams

My mouse has suddenly given up the ghost, new battery makes no difference.  I can't do this properly until I've either got it sorted, or had it sorted!!

Sorted later!

10.55  Klive arrived, bringing in a large stick.  He potters, picking at twigs and dropping them

10.57 he furtively looked around, then nest cupped and almost looked embarrassed afterwards!  Is anyone watching me?

A feather is stuck to his beak as he picks at twigs again.  He spends some time looking around, checking.

11.01 more picking and discarding of twigs, while standing in the cup. followed by another nest cupping.

Just before he leaves, king of all he surveys, but no mate and no chicks.

11.03 Klive flew off towards the old dead tree, but out of sight.

11.46 Kiive is back, with another stick.  More picking at sticks and dropping them further from the cup where he is standing.  Then another nest cupping.  He still has the feather attached!  I'm sure it would annoy me, but he isn't concerned!

11.47 another nest cupping.  Getting it prepared for nest year perhaps!  Do you remember Odin tidying up the nest once the kids had gone, leaving a cross in the middle - well I think that was a coincidence we all liked to think was deliberate!

He stood up, and just looked around the area before leaving at 11.51.

PTZ found him on the flat topped tree just beyond the old nest

12.06 Klive left.  Cam followed him as he skimmed the tree line and sky line until he disappeared.  Cam returned to the nest.

12.49 cam checked various perches but found nothing and returned to the nest then the flat topped tree until about 15.00 when it returned to the nest.

There has been no sighting.  It hasn't rained, nor has the sun come out, but it is windy.

16.31 ENS

What a wonderful job you've done, SHEILA Hugging  I'm not going to do a video, I may put your snaps into a slide-show later, just for the YouTube record.

HeartbeatHeartbeatHeartbeatHeartbeatHeartbeat

SheilaFE said:
    Do you remember Odin tidying up the nest once the kids had gone, leaving a cross in the middle - well I think that was a coincidence we all liked to think was deliberate!

Yes!

HeartbeatHeartbeatHeartbeatHeartbeatHeartbeat

IMAGICAT

• Bless you, Scylla.  I enjoy doing it as times allows, but I have a busy five days with friends so am likely  to be absent. It would be lovely if our faithful friends would would  help out. I hope to pop in until Saturday lunch time but I doubt whether I will be able to post for four days.  

21.35 Klive landed on the nest. A lot of preening.

21.59 Klive flew away.

22.37 ENS

Klive's evening visit, the last of the day.  Nothing to see here.

IMAGICAT

12 July

Mistle Thrush on the PTZ, and I synced the sound on perfectly Hugging

But what a pity there was no camperson to zoom in, my crop is very grainy.

IMAGICAT